or Connect

Posts by Beppie

Just wanted to add to the talk about the preference for lighter skin color.  DH is from India, where skin color is so entrenched in society.  The poorest are very dark, because they have been forced to do the menial labor outdoors in the hot sun.  And the Brahmins, high caste Hindus, are very light because they are wealthy and sit indoors all day.  Anyway, DH is not a Hindu so the caste system wasn't as relevant to his family, but still there is a preference for lighter...
This might not work for your family but we don't push the kids to sleep in their own room.  We are probably way too laid back about sleeping!  Most nights I have a nursing toddler on one side, and my 3-year old sleeps cuddled on my other side.  My five year old (she's almost six) also sleeps with us.  Is there any way she can sleep in your room?  I know this would not work for all families, but it does work well for us.  We have never had any nighttime battles. 
Wow, thank you both for the EXCELLENT words and advice.  You have made me feel much better about the situation and you have given me very good ideas for how to work with the situation, instead of against it.  Also, thank you for understanding where I am coming from.  I was so conflicted about whether it was fair of me to feel this way, even though the differences between our families are so plain to see.  You are right that this is a great opportunity to be an example to...
I am so conflicted over this.  My two girls, almost six and three (still such a baby) have started playing with the girl next door.  She is turning 8 tomorrow.  We allow them to play for an hour here or there, but it gets out of hand.  This girl would play with my daughters ALL DAY LONG if I didn't intervene.  She is completely aimless.  Her parents are nowhere to be found.   What is the problem?  The girl is a bit disrespectful, is constantly trying to get food from...
Now I am as certain as can be that both our guinea pigs are females.  I just checked again --- and have read all the websites about sexing guinea pigs.   However, their behavior is so strange!  It looks like breeding behavior to me.  They are following each other around, one of them is contsantly purring at the other (as if it was a male), the other one jumps and gets annoyed, etc.   Anyone have 2 females that do this to each other?  Otherwise, my cavys are good...
Try not to feel bad about the situation!  I am one of those moms with one child who has had TONS of teeth problems, and another without ANY cavities!  People are just different, children are no exception.   Our regular dentist found our dd's cavities, and referred us to one pediatric dentist who insisted on general anesthesia --- which would cost $5,000 or something absurd like that!   We got a second opinion.  And we waited.  We simply didn't want to spend that...
My cosleeping baby was restless all night.  I never got a long stretch of sleep.  Then I took my temp at the normal time.  Just curious how that kind of night affects temperature.  Would the temp usually be lower than usual, or higher than usual?   My temps had been up around 98.5 and 98.6.  After last night it was lower around 97.9.  I wold have thought that the temp would be higher after a night of no sleep, right?  Curious about others' thoughts.  thanks!    
Well, I've managed not to take a HPT in the past 48 hours.  Still no AF!  I have no idea whether a test would be + or - .... I still think I'm going to wait.   And I'm feeling twinges in my belly.  Pregnancy-like twinges.    The hospital 35 miles from us (we're in rural Minnesota) has a laboratory open to the general public --- yesterday I looked at their website and they give a pregnancy blood test for $16.  I think I will go for that if I still haven't gotten...
LOL --- this is my plan too, exactly, Bfillingham!  Well, not sure how long I can wait.  But I am definitely tired of BFNs.  AF is nowhere in sight.  What a crazy cycle this has been.  I just wish I could get it all off my mind for a couple of days.  
Before dd started kindergarten, all we did with her at home is read TONS of books (our home is overflowing with books!) ... I didn't push learning to read, though.  At preschool she knew all her letters, and could write them all, and was learning phonics, but she went into kindergarten without knowing how to read yet (pretty much).  But what has been so neat is seeing her reading ability just blossom, completely, since starting school 7 months ago --- now, 7 months...