or Connect

Posts by aris99

Thank-you so much for your help! I did ask the Dr yesterday about the possibility (and indeed probability) that my son would be unable to consume that much in 5 hrs. She said vehemently that it was that or the ng tube. She did not seem to be very flexible on that at all! My "fear" is that the enema will go ok but that the follow up miralax laced beverage will not go beyond 2, 8oz servings. The other thing I'm unsure about and I'm sorry if this is TMI but I can't...
My 4 yo dd walked into a bathroom counter a couple of days ago. I didn't see it happen but the bruise went from the corner of her eye to half way down her cheek. The eye turned black which I know is bruising but in addition she developed 3 small cuts or cracks at the corner of her eye...they have scabbed now. Do the scratches suggest bone fracture? I know there's nothing to be done if there is a break but I have these images in my head of bits of broken bone...
Thank-you all for your replies. I'm absolutely sure of the dose as the Dr. wrote it down. It says: 17g in 8 oz every hour for 5 hrs, a total of 5 doses. My son is only 40lbs. He's been in this condition for about a yr now. I stupidly thought he had diarrhea I can see him *maybe* tolerating the enema but drinking 40 oz of anything in 5 hrs seems EXCESSIVE for him. So, let's say I get through the enemas, and a couple of the doses....how do I know if this is enough...
the best way to administer an enema to a severely constipated 6 yo We saw a ped GI today. My son, 6.5, has severe constipation and we were directed to give him 2 fleet enemas 12hrs apart. After the 2nd enema he is supposed to drink 8oz of liquid w/17g miralax once every hr for 5 hrs!! That's 40 oz in 5 hrs...he'll never do it! The alternative is to put him in hospital and have a ng tube placed to relieve the constipation (not sure why this would work). My son has...
I got so sick of toilet paper clogging up the toilets that I switched to family cloth I was cloth diapering at the time and it really wasn't any more work. I found that cloth was easier for my littlest to wipe with and we are saving buckets on toilet paper and calls to roto rooter!
My eldest kids were 5 before they could completely dress themselves. Maybe just start w/shirts. Help your son get it over his head (my kids would always panic if they couldn't find the neck of the shirt) and then have him use both hands to find the arm hole. Even if he gets the shirt on backwards it's still an accomplishment I think kids tend to be too quick at this age....so slow him down and work at one thing at a time. I'm still waiting for my 6.5 yo to put on...
My 4 yo (born 26 weeks, 1.5lbs) doesn't have asthma....but I have heard that it is VERY common to outgrow it! Hope your little one does
Thank-you for your responses and for sharing your experiences. Linda: how old is your dd? Earthmama: Good suggestions but my son is SO affected by smells that he will stop eating if he smells something "wrong" and nothing will bring him back. He's 6.5yo and 42lbs....he's looking pretty thin these days My son had severe oral aversions between 2-5 yrs of age where he would gag a lot and stop eating. His diet was terribly limited. I guessed it was a sensory...
I've read the link about this being a possible symptom of SPD but can find nothing about helping someone with this problem. Taking my son to a neurologist in a couple of weeks but thought I'd ask here if anyone has a child w/heightened olfactory symptoms that affect how he/she eats. My son says he can't eat if he smells food other than what he's eating. He gags if he smells strong smells like peanut butter and he said yesterday that he couldn't take the "smell" of his...
We just moved to Northern VA from PA. In PA my almost 9 yr old dd was in 4th grade (according to the required testing stuff...we don't do grades at home) and my son (6.5) was not required to be registered as being in school. Now we've arrived in NOVA what do we do? I have googled VA homeschooling and came up w/2 websites that gave me 2 quite different lists of regulations etc....I'm guessing one is not up to date but I can't tell which one is right. CAn someone tell...