or Connect

Posts by nomadic_foolz

We're in SB and homeschool (Hi Jess!) with a mix of waldorf and unschooling. I'm on the Michiana LIFE yahoo group which is a secular hs group made up of people who use all sorts of methods and we used to gather weekly to play but I don't know of any unschooling specific groups in the area.
We have Live Ed for 3rd grade. I bought it first and after a few months I just couldn't keep track of where I had read something and found (for the grades at least) it was too much work putting together a lesson from it. I know quit a few moms who get it for the inspiration and creative ideas but find they need something more to structure their daily lessons.   Have you read Rahima Baldwin's book You Are Your Child's First Teacher? It covers birth through kindy and...
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that:)
Again, ditto what Heather said:) I was just listening to a really good chat between Melisa from ALGF and one of the veteran moms from the list and they talked a bit about using the OT stories. You can download the chats at http://waldorfjourney.typepad.com/a_journey_through_waldorf/chats-with-lauri.html. I can't remember which one talked about the 3rd grade but they were all worth listening to.
I've used both and would say that Christopherus gives more information in the books. The lessons for 1st grade and up are written out for you and the storyies are all supplied but she also gives suggestions for alternatives and other stories you might find at your local library.   The ALGF book I have (I think she may have changed a few things since) gives some foundation information, things to keep in mind when you are planning your lessons and gives you a daily...
I'm guessing your daughter is still pretty young so like Tankgirl said I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. One thing that has helped me is meeting veteran homeschoolers. Once I met a few mothers who unschooled children who went on earn full scholarships to places like MIT, I felt much better;)   We have used Christopherus and found it to be a nice middle ground. Donna Simmons has a strong foundation of Waldorf but she's also had the experience of homeschooling...
I want to get my family back on an omega 3 oil but my head is swimming from all the choices. I think I've narrowed it down to either the fermented skate oil or the cod/butter combo oil. Any thoughts ?   Also, the last time we were on them my husband complained of the burps with them so I think I read that this happens more often with the capsules, is that right? If that's so that will probably be best to get the liquid anyway as I can't see how I would get my kids to...
Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that this is all normal stuff Everything has been so overwhelming over the last few weeks, dealing with thrush/candida, behavioral issues with my ds and starting our first year of homeschooling : I was getting worried that I had just had some beginners luck. excited2bemommy09- congratulations! I actually have not tried the warm water yet I'll have to give it a go the next time. Thanks.
Hi I'm new to this area of the board. My dd was born last month and we have been ecing part time since then. Until recently it's been going great. We were catching about 80% of her poops and about 40-50% of her pees. Lately when I notice her signals and try to potty her we sit and sit and when I finally give up and stick the diaper on her she goes within a minute or two of having the diaper back on. I recently switched to a candida diet and I wonder if this could be...
Date and time of birth: September 16th, 10:19 PM Sex: Female Name: Mazzy Noelle Weight/Length: 10lbs 5oz, 22.25 inches How long labor was QUICK I started with contractions at a little after 7 pm. My dh had just gotten home from work and I was putting our older two to bed. An hour later I called the midwife, my water broke,and I hopped in the birthing tub. By 10:19 she was born. Our 2 yr old woke up and entered the room just in time to see his little sister enter the...