or Connect

Posts by naismama

Just checked back in here after ages....anybody else? :)
Thanks! :)
We are returning to homeschooling after a year+.  We don't really have any homeschooling friends and it's getting lonely.  I don't really want to do any of the big homeschool groups around here; I'd just love to make some supportive, open-minded homeschool friends for my daughter (7), son (4.5) and myself!  Anybody out there?
Thanks for the responses! So I've removed dairy. I'll see if that clears up the little bumps on her face and the itchiness overall too. And I got the antibiotics, but I never used them. She hasn't complained about her ears in days, and the snottiness and eye crust is just about gone--that was a big concern for me, since she's had surgeries on her eyes. I'm giving her an herbal immunity booster and lots of liquids. Now if I can just clear up my own sinus infection!
A couple of months ago I took my kids (5, 3) to an allergy doc for testing. It didn't go down the way I thought it would and he basically did that pin-prick on the back thing for eight substances that are common allergens or that I specifically said I was concerned about. DS's test confirmed what I already strongly suspected, which is that he is allergic to eggs. DD's test showed that she is allergic to Bermuda grass and that she is not allergic to milk--something I...
OK, I was going to use the multi-quote feature, but there were too many good quotes I wanted to use, so I'll just send out a general "thank you"! This is such an exciting time for me considering I spent the entire spring and summer stressing about what to do with dd for Kindergarten. I do plan to use "Cursive First," but other than that, I don't think I'll do any formal language arts this year. I did get some of these to play around with, but we'll just make lots of...
My daughter just turned five and would have started kindergarten this week(!) I am trying to figure out how to proceed in her language arts, but I am not really sure what I should be doing. She is what I would call an independent and fluent reader. She can read in her head, and when she reads aloud, it is smooth with very few pauses. I think she "sight reads" at this point, but I know she can sound out words too (she informed me the other day that her breakfast cereal...
Kittywitty--thanks. I had thought about RightStart, but I am not sure about the whole abacus thing? With Singapore, it's not that it is colorful, perse, but that you have to process and understand what is going on in the pictures in order to solve the problems (e.g., birds flying toward or away from a fence for addition and subtraction). I do not know much about MUS (Math U See?)
I will most likely be homeschooling dd for kindergarten this year. This past year we did Singapore Math EarlyBird, and it went ok. But I think we can do better. DD has strabismus and problems with visual processing. Much of the Singapore book involved looking at colorful images with numbers and busy pictures to solve the problems. I think it's too taxing on her visual system, and she is starting to get frustrated with math. Right now, she can count to 100's by 1's,...
So I met with the director of the school where dd is enrolled, and I specifically asked about this: Quote: Originally Posted by Tjej They may well be combining the K and 1st. That is what a tiny private school near us has done this last year. The director says that the board talked about it, but as of now have no plans to do it because the 1st grade parents would feel as though it isn't a "real first grade." I feel that academically...