or Connect

Posts by joyfulone

I've homeschooled my kids for the past 3 years and I've worked part-time outside the home the whole time.  I work in my office (my own schedule) during the week from 4pm-9pm, and on Saturdays during the day.  I do homeschooling with my kids in the morning and afternoon, finishing up their coursework by 3pm, so I have time to get ready for work.  I am exhausted a lot of the time, but I'm trying to take care of myself the best I can and I'm hoping to get a better routine...
Should I be worried at all about this since I am on the coast in Southern Calfiornia?     http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/03/18/extremely-low-levels-of-radiation-reach-southern-california/   I also read that since the radiation is from plutonium that potassium iodide tablets would be of no use against it. (?)   Any scientific mamas out there who have any thoughts on this, too?  Just wondering if we should stay indoors tomorrow, or not.      Thanks, joy  
We drive 45 minutes to see our pediatrician because he is one of the only docs we've found who does not require us to sign one of those forms, and he also advocates for holding-off on vax's. Originally we saw a doc for 2 years who required those annoying forms and I felt horrible every time we signed them. It's worth it to us to drive the extra 45 minutes, they don't take our insurance so we have to pay out of pocket (ouch!), and whenever we've had an urgent need to have...
My midwife was extremely supportive and present for me, and her assistant was very kind, but the assistant was pretty busy getting things prepared, taking pictures (which I appreciated), and I had never met her before the birth night. But I did have the doula present who helped me with my natural birth in the hospital with my first daughter (don't know how I would have made it without her in that hospital room with me!). Only benefit of my doula at home birth was her...
I could never say that I feel successful consistently in all areas of my life, but sometimes I can get a little closer than at other times. I try to start each day with quiet time (even 15 min. if I can get it) with the 3 and 5 y.o.'s engaged in play of some sort right after they finish their breakfast- and I try to get grounded that way spiritually and mentally b4 the schedule begins. I have my task list for the day and try to check the things off as I do them, and I...
I started out by studying for what I enjoyed doing, then realized once I reached graduate school in the subject that I would need to "publish or perish" in order to achieve a professor's job and keep the job. So, I switched to another major in graduate school where I knew that I could use that degree to pursue a license in a career that would enable me to eventually create my own business and hours with a potentially-good income. 10 years later, now, the work has...
I think the one we found was in the $80's last summer. It was made by Kindercraft and we found it on Ebay. I would type-in "kindercraft dollhouse" on ebay and see what comes up. I like how the house and furniture are made out of wood, and the little family dolls are made of wood, yarn, and simple looks (not like Barbie).
Sure, as long as they ask first. They will get pretty muddy with the grassy backyard, but it's summer and they know to go straight into the kitchen and wipe off their feet before coming into the rest of the house that's carpeted.
Thank you soooo much for all your input and advice!! I would have been off calling the girl's mom apologizing and explaining the whole reasoning behind why we didn't invite her daughter - yikes! Yes, just to clarify, there's 24 kids in my dd's class and we invited 11 of the 15 girls in the class, and 3 of the 9 boys in the class - making a total invite list of 14 of the 24 kids were invited. That means 10 of the 24 weren't invited. It would have cost us much more...
Ok, I need advice, if you have a minute, mommas. My daughter's 5th birthday is coming up and so we're organizing a party for it. I obviously can't invite her whole pre-school (though I know some parents do), and so I invited the kids that my daughter likes the best from school (isn't that normal, or is it not?). We only invited a couple boys whom my dd likes a lot, and then she wanted to invite the rest of the girls- except for 3: 2 of which she's never really talked...