or Connect

Posts by earthy_mama

Thanks for the suggestion cristeen. There is a large amount of vinegar in the recipe so I think I'll reduce the sugar dramatically rather than eliminate completely and go from there. :
Love yourself. Replace negative thoughts & beliefs about yourself with positive ones (you are DEFINITELY smart enough!!). The power of the mind is incredible & so it is key to use it to our advantage. I can relate to your situation - in fact I think you just helped me to identify one of my own patterns that I wasn't completely aware of! So I would suggest that rather than judge the pattern ("stupid stupid pattern"), accept it & let it go. Tell yourself that you are in...
I LOVE my grandma's homemade green relish but had a look at the recipe and noticed that for 9 large cucumbers there are 5 cups of sugar!!!!! YIKES. I don't use sugar in my cooking or baking & usually find it quite easy to eliminate/substitute healthy alternatives in my baking. I would love to hear if anyone can recommend a healthy way to make the relish without the sugar? ... or suggest a healthy substitute that might work well in a relish? ...or recommend by how much...
Nothing to post right now... just subbing and planning on putting some of these ideas to use.
Thanks for the replies! It sounds like what I'm doing is GD (and not permissive) and my gut has been telling me that consequences such as a time-out in his bedroom are not the way to go for us. I like the alternatives such as a cool-off time in the same room (I don't like the idea of isolating him from the rest of us, especially when he is having a fit and could clearly benefit from some guidance on how to deal with his emotions). The payment-for-behaviour comment also...
The GD vs permissiveness thread helped me to put into words what I've been feeling frustrated about lately... so here it is!!! When there is a hitting/biting incident with my dc generally the first thing that comes out of my mouth is 'hands are not for hitting' or 'teeth or not for biting' or 'feet are not for kicking ppl', etc. If my oldest DS (3.5) is the culprit then we talk about how the other person feels when being hit/bitten/whatever. I then ask what he can do to...
Wow. I'm really struggling with this too right now, and the more I read, the more I feel like I'm permissive... not GD. I'm feeling very frustrated! I think where I'm having difficulty is in determining what consequences to use to send an appropriate message & when to use them. I'd love to hear examples. I have so many questions and ideas rushing to my head right now that rather than hijacking this post I'm going to start my own! Will be checking back here too...
No pics to post yet but I spoke to a nurse and she thinks the 1 yo has impetego. I since found out that it can be caused by the Streptococcus bacteria so that makes sense. He seems to be fine and the spots are healing so I'm not worried. Anybody have more info on impetego?? As for the 3 yo the nurse thinks that it is something other than impetego, although she didn't know what. Still not sure what he has but he does also seems to have a sore in his mouth b/c he keeps...
My one year old son woke up with 4 bright red spots on his face a few days ago. Last night I noticed that they had changed in appearing, now having a white almost crusty look to them. He has no other spots on his body. He has been in great spirits but did have a slight fever last Tues (one or two days before the spots appeared). I believe he was exposed to Strep throat so I figured his body was fighting off that when he had the fever. He has not had any other symptoms of...
I had my son weighed on August 8th and he's up to 16lbs 12oz!! I've been making every bite count by adding healthy fats (mostly coconut oil, some olive oil) and choosing high calorie foods such as avocado - and there you have it, he gained back a big chunk of what he lost over two months in one week! Meanwhile, his twin who had been steadily gaining just started to crawl on his hands and knees in the past two weeks and lost 5oz. They both have very healthy appetites...