or Connect

Posts by sebandg'smama

I really really recommend the book Hold Onto Your Kids: Why Parents matter more than Peers.     "http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Your-Kids-Parents-Matter/dp/0375760288/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297261952&sr=8-1"   -Melanie
  especially to the part I bolded.  We teach people how we want to be treated, and that goes doubly for children!  So as long as you are respectful to her, she needs to at least go through the motions of being polite..especially since we are talking about a 9 year old.     Perhaps on the days you have her all day you can all bake or cook together?  Invite her into the process of making something that she may (or may not!) eat.   Best of luck! -Melanie   edited to add...I...
Is your mom paying for the trip to Disney, or did your sisters invite her along?   Because it sounds to me that your issue isn't with your mother, but with your sisters.   When I did therapy a few years ago, I started because of my childhood, where I placed a lot of blame (well-deserved imho) on my mother, but near the end I realized that I had a WHOLE lot of unresolved anger towards my sister and wish that I had spent more time exploring that with my...
In Ontario (where I am), it is a little known fact that you can register your child part time (or third time, etc).     -Melanie
Hi, fellow Canadian here,   I held my Dec 21st boy back.  I didn't put him in JK, sent him to SK when he should have been entering grade one.   So many people said that I couldn't/shouldn't hold him back.  But I knew that my son needed more time.   The principal was thrown for a loop, but I was calm in my dealings because I knew that he was too young.  Not just because he was a boy, but because of his temperament (very very shy, emotionally immature).  I knew...
 Hello from the Hamilton area!    Welcome to Mothering.com!   -Melanie
Sounds like you are blessed with high spirited children!     I am glad your boys are getting their needs met in your desire to live consensually.  I am just worried that you are not getting your needs met.  It's ok to get a babysitter in order for you to pray with the adults, once in a while at least.  True consensual living has EVERYONE'S needs taken into account.   Peace, Melanie
I think there has been some good advice given, and perhaps reading them through thoroughly might be helpful.   I just have some questions, what are you afraid of?  Other people's perception's of your dc's behaviour?  Their safety?  That if they are not listening to you now, they will never listen to you when they are older?     Perhaps instead of comparing your boys to other children you should just meet their needs...playground than temple.  A mini trampoline...
Have you read "Hold on to your Kids: Why Parents Matter More than Peers" ?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_on_to_Your_Kids_(book) It gives great tips on staying connected.   My is in grade 6 now  and I have always done the things you stated in your first post!  Well with the exception of an extended trip - I'd love to do that!   Both my kids benefit from a break occasionally at lunch time.  They have tons of time to be social during other recesses and after...
-Melanie