or Connect

Posts by Rachel J.

My raw milk yogurt didn't turn out (not enough starter and/or got a bit too warm). Could I get more yogurt starter and try again? I've made it multiple times and never had a problem before.
You can get expeller pressed from Wilderness Family Naturals or Tropical Traditions. It has no flavor but still high in lauric acid and obviously the same saturated fat. I use it for cooking and save the coconutty EVCO for things that are complemented by the coconut flavor and also for my skin.
I second what sweet.p said. I met Penny at a conference and I think she would be eager and willing to help. With that being said, the Labor Handbook written by Ms. Simpkin would be very helpful. It has all the positions for laboring in bed, with and without an epidural, as well as when they are indicated and contraindicated. I also think that hiring a doula could make a huge difference. Just having a handout of the positions will likely not be enough during labor. ...
On a practical note, do you think your clients would be more prone to staying put in there house if they had any idea how far dilated they are? If so, you could always give them an estimate using the distance between the xiphoid process and the fundus at the top of a contraction (lying down). 5 finger breadths (10cm)= 0 cm dilated, 4 fb (8cm)= 2 cm dilated and so on to 0 fb = complete. It's apparently very accurate. Since you're studying midwifery I'm guessing you've...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mama I am not a professional, but a mom. However, I agree with this sentiment. If I had a bp trying to force me to keep my legs open or anything like that I would find it very triggering and traumatic. I would try to find a position that she liked. That kind of behavior on the mw or birth attendent would only be harmful. Just reading that gives me horrible, horrible feelings. I would think the tear would be more...
Quote: Originally Posted by doctorjen Assuming there is no medical emergency going on, the first thing I do is actually back off some and suggest mom get in a position where she feels more control - standing perhaps, or hands and knees, or sitting on the toilet, or some position that isn't so open-your-legs-and-we'll-stare-at-your-crotch. Sometimes I find that if women can get a few minutes to catch their breath and just focus on getting control without...
That's pretty much what the midwives were doing. Lots of "look at me, mama, look up here" Personally I wasn't as disturbed by her behavior as were the midwives (not that they were upset with her, just unsure how to connect with her and get her back into the birth), probably in part because as the apprentice I wasn't in charge, and partly because I've watched too many birth shows with ill-prepared and unsupported mothers thrashing about in hospital beds Interestingly,...
A while ago we had a mom who, once she hit transition was completely resistant to labor. She spent a lot of energy screaming, "I can't" and "Help me," fought pushing and was generally just opposed to the entire process of birth. There were two midwives, myself (the apprentice) and her husband with her. The midwives had to get very directive and firm with her to keep her legs open, keep the oxygen on between pushing, and to even continue pushing. After the baby was born...
I went to a session at the recent ICAN conference with Rose St. John speaking about fathers at birth. She's a doula and yoga instructor and has written a book called "Fathers at Birth" which I think is wonderful. It touches on the pressure put on men to jump into coach and support roles with no training, addresses the changes and transitions that the birth presents for them, and also provides some wonderful suggestions and resources for men to cope personally so that...
If you know any Chinese medicine practitioners they could treat you with moxi to "warm the blood." It's a common practice in Asian cultures (and many others) to roast the mother immediately after birth. In lieu of an actual practitioner you might try a heating pad or warm water bottle on your abdomen. From what little I know about it (a friend wh o is an acupuncturist treated his wife when she got the shakes and told me about it) that would be the general treatment area.