or Connect

Posts by Rachel J.

A friend of mine wants to have a homebirth with her second baby but is unsure whether it's a good idea after her first birth at the hospital with a CNM. I was unsure so thought I'd ask here She had a cervical tear which an OB repaired for her. The CNM was very careful to make sure she was fully dilated before pushing. Her son also had a pretty bad cephelohematoma (not sure if the likely malpositioning which caused his birth injury would have contributed to her tear). ...
Wow! That completely turns me off to Bradley. I think it has some good things to offer but that sort of bias seeps into the material taught students and certainly will have an affect on them as well. Nothing like setting up parents to feel like failures if they couldn't reach the gold standard of unmedicated, vaginal birth. Someone who desires an unmedicated birth enough to participate in 12 weeks of class and ends up having a cesarean (or even just needing an epidural)...
My preceptor has a billing company for clients who want to use their insurance. They call and verify benefits (for a small fee). Clients are asked to make a deposit when the sign the contract, about 1/5 of the total fee. Then she asks at the end of each appointment if they have a payment for her. She's not at all shy, casual, or apologetic about how she asks (but also not rude ). Clients who pay by 36 weeks get a sizable discount if they're paying cash, or a sizable...
Lenten or Christmas rose is really nice and very low maintenance.
In Heart and Hands she mentions noticing more jaundice in babies who are kept in darker rooms for the first few days of life. Again, I don't know what your babies' numbers were or what symptoms they exhibited, but that might be a consideration for the future if you'll be having more children. It's easy to want to keep the curtains drawn and rooms darkened (from natural light, obviously lamp light doesn't help reduce jaundice) while you rest with your babe the first few...
I had the link for it bookmarked but the blog was taken down. Fortunately it was google cached (or however that works, I've forgotten already) and I found the page and copied the info Here's the whole page as it was originally posted. How to know how far dilated you are - without internal exams! -from the now-extinct blog: http://redeemingbirth.blogspot.com/2...d-you-are.html Quote: External and Observed Signs of Dilation, Descent and Progress • Location...
Quote: Originally Posted by busybusymomma We have a client that we know is at least 5cm because she's called us to her home twice and labor stopped (she's actually having a couple hours of labor every 3 nights so I'm betting she's closer to 7cm dilated by now since she's having a lot of prodromal labor). I sure hope we don't miss her birth, she's 2 hours away. My money is on you making it for the birth of the placenta, but not the baby ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fujiko There is (or was at least) a male CNM at Innovis Hospital in Fargo, ND. Quote: We have a male CNM at a local birth center. Just curious, do these CNM's assist at births? I started out with a male OB for the birth of my first son (pretty much ignorant to options and choosing based on a friend's recommendation). I switched to a female CNM for my second pregnancy and had hoped for a home...
Quote: Originally Posted by completebeginnings At the local hospital in my area the ob's use baby shampoo. Yes they insert it into the baby's vagina. The women end up with foaming soap coming out of their vaginas and serious yeast infections. Most of my experiences have shown more swelling and problems then not. Um, to me that verges on incompetence. Soap??? Vaseline, also a very poor choice, would make more sense then baby shampoo. The ONLY...
Just saw a post on my Birth Arts International doula group regarding someone looking for a birth doula for a 16 yo who is having her baby on Monday (the 13th?). If you know one or are interested please pm me.