or Connect

Posts by Rachel J.

Some friends of ours had a beautiful herb and veggie garden made with hilled beds. No support, just long, curving mounds. They curved and meandered through the back yard with at least a push mower width between them but often more. I think they had to stay on top of mowing and edging but otherwise it wasn't much more labor intensive (some French method, but I forget the actual name). We're doing something similar in our garden, dh says rows are too ugly, with lasagna...
Quote: Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug I hadnt even thought about what would happen in the case of a transfer. I certinaly dont want my baby ending up in the NICU for "observation" for no good reason. I think i'll get the GBS done with the CNM practice. Thank you! The midwife who I am apprenticing with recommends getting the GBS test done in case of transfer but always leaves it up to the mother. If/when the mother tests she recommends...
The buttercream I made last year (with the egg yolk and all butter) worked okay for decorating. I wasn't getting very ornate though, just a race track It certainly tasted a lot better than the mostly powdered sugar with some milk and butter recipe that I tried last night. I guess since what I made last year was more buttery and less sugary I didn't actually realize that buttercream was the so sweet it hurts your teeth icing used by bakeries . I'm going to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by moon mountain mama Unfortunately, I have heard I believe it was a bulletin from the national cancer society that they have found that plastic particularly when it is frozen such as milk jugs or plastic water bottles are is very dangerous. They advise not to freeze any liquid in plastic. I'm pretty sure the risk of leaching when freezing in plastic is pretty low or unproven. I've seen something on Snopes regarding...
I think that sourdough is similar to soaking. Supposedly the process also breaks down the gluten or gliadin a bit so it's more digestible, however not usually enough for someone who's sensitive/celiac or has digestive issues. I don't eat wheat so I just buy Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread. Hopefully it's better than regular whole grain bread and is reasonably priced.
I'm going to make buttercream icing for DS's birthday cake. Last year I made it with raw butter and an egg yolk. It was amazing and I ate way too much, but Dh said it was slimy(?) and the kids didn't like it (not sure how he knows that since he wasn't at the party). Anyway, I thought I might try the 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening version but definitely don't want to use regular shortening. Has anyone tried using Spectrum shortening in a buttercream icing? Does it work...
I realize that you have more than just a beginning UTI right now, but I'll throw this suggestion out anyway. I've had great success with cranberry capsules in dealing with UTI's. I got a really painful one while pregnant and just started pounding back the pills until I felt better. It only took 4-6 hours although it felt like forever. I took one every day for the rest of my pregnancy and didn't have any other problems. Now whenever I get a twinge I pop a few. I found...
Great suggestions, as always, thanks so much. I thought I'd subbed to my thread but I guess it didn't take so I've just gotten back to see this info. The midwife did go the following morning so I'm guessing that she probably checked it as well. I'll definitely compile this information and pass it along to her in case there's anything new.
I'm a relatively new apprentice midwife and I went to the 3 day postpartum visit for a mom recently. She asked me to check her stitches because she was experiencing a great deal of discomfort. Honestly this is my second time looking at a repaired vagina but I figured that I could probably tell if there was infection or something out of place (midwife got caught in bumper to bumper traffic and asked me to do the postpartum assessment, she'd come back later ). She had two...
I'm doing a distance learning program though Birth Arts International because I was impressed with the requirements and I didn't want to wait to get started until I could find a training seminar that I could attend. It's going to take me quite a while to do 10 book reports, attend 5 births, take the childbirth prep classes, and do all the self-evaluation exercises. But jumping in opened the door for an amazing apprentice midwife position that I wasn't even looking for,...