or Connect

Posts by Rachel J.

Check out the water kefir recipes thread. There are several ideas there.
I really like to do half water and half apple/pommagranate-cherry juice. The grains seem pretty happy in it, you know, floating, bubbling, making lots of pressure I also really like sucanat with fresh ginger. That's the only way I like sucanat right now. I'm kind of lazy so I haven't gotten around to squeezing lemons yet but the lemonade sounds really good. I got some apple cider on a good sale so they're brewing happily in that right now. I have about 1 TBS of...
I'd imagine that you could just use a common corn syrup based recipe for maple or sorghum syrups. I love pecan pie. I almost want it to be fall again just so I have a "reason" to make it.
I haven't had much luck with beef (or pork) liver when cooked, just to strong-tasting. I'll have to try the liver pills, maybe call them liver shots for fun. I really prefer chicken liver but usually eat it as pate with bacon for flavor and mushrooms to kind of stretch both the pate and the liver flavor. I think I also use sauteed onions and add mayo since I'm dairy-free.
I think it's recommended to cook most beans and chickpeas although they're much more digestible and possibly even healthier after they've been sprouted. I just made some sprouted black bean brownies :P I know that lentils don't have to be soaked and I have seen them in sprouting mixes so they would probably work okay. Mung beans, too, although I've never tried them so I don't know about their flavor. Perhaps you could do a 1/2 raw, 1/2 cooked, all sprouted hummus. You...
I'm not sure that three days is long enough to change your body's reaction to sugars but it's certainly worth I try. The only thing that I can think of is to start a diet that would be prescribed anyways if they determine that you have GD. My SIL had the same problem, and I believe failed the 3 hour test. She start the Brewer diet and was so much healthie during and after her pregnancy. Before that she wasn't eating enough protein because she didn't eat meat. The diet...
Quote: Originally Posted by Freefromitall ETA: I followed a link in from new posts, and I see that this is in Birth Pros (now...after I posted of course!:P) I am not a BP, so feel free to disregard my post Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it's good to hear what non-birth pros think, as well. I just directed it towards birth professionals because, well, this is where I hang out the most Personally, my ds1 was born at 34 weeks in the...
Yes, what Dewi said. If you're willing to go to the extra trouble, you can probably get more benefit from just making a nourishing tea (brew for four hours then strain) of 1 oz red raspberry and nettles (if you stand nettles earthy taste) in a quart of water. In the last 8-6 weeks of pregnancy add in alfalfa capsules for vit. K. These are the two things that my preceptor highly recommends to her homebirth clients. The last 5 ingredients are digestive enzymes which you...
You really should have some sort of back up plan. You never know when you'll get food poisoning, stomach bug, death in the family, those things that take you out of commission no matter how dedicated you and your time are to your clients. That being said, unless there are no other doulas in your area, it shouldn't be too hard to find some sort of back up. Are you connected to or aware of any other doulas in your area? If not, can you contact local midwives, LLL, mama...
I certainly don't want to cause division, that goes against my goals as a birth activist, doula, and future midwife, however just being those things is automatically somewhat divisive. I realize that having a natural, unmedicated, vaginal birth is often equated with being strong enough to withstand labor. There can be a "holier than thou" mentality associated with it. I guess that's the belief and connotations of the word "natural" that I would like to see change. As...