or Connect

Posts by Rachel J.

Both my boys have it at almost 5 and 2 years old. They also get it behind their ears (that crusty stuff that adults get sometimes as well) and in their ears. I've given up on trying to deal with it externally, nothing I do (oil, tto shampoo) keeps it away. I do think it has something to do with gut health and probably yeast. That would explain why babies commonly get it it and as their guts mature it goes away. I've heard of the biotin deficiency but haven't gotten...
I always cook my beans with it and don't notice any off flavors. In fact I've left it in the garbanzo beans and added it to our hummus. It may have changed the flavor a bit but not very noticeable.
I get my 4.5 yo and 2 yo to take it with bribery. I have a spoon with about 1/4-1/2 tsp. raw honey on it waiting for them and they can chase down the icky taste with that. It doesn't always work with the 4.5 yo but it usually does. I actually need a spoon, too That's also how I get crushed garlic down my 2 yo when he needs it, garlic on a spoon with a little honey drizzled on it and a little more right after to help with the burn. I know that honey is sugar but they...
I don't know too much about LEEP complications or a low cervix, but did a little research for a doula client. AFAIK, the complications with LEEP are miscarriage/premature birth due to the shortening/effacing/dilating prematurely. The other complication can be a very slow early labor stage with hard contractions because of scar tissue. Once it breaks up though mamas often go from 1 or 2 cm dilated to transition. It doesn't sound like your friend had either of those...
If the medication she's on for contractions is bothering her she could try crampbark. A CNM friend of mine has had preterm labor with all three of her babies and that worked better than the meds the put her on. If she has a previa it may move up out of the way and that would be wonderful, however if it doesn't the pressure of the babies on her cervix (and the placenta) will likely make her start dilating and start bleeding before 36 weeks. I hate to sound negative,...
Jojo F.- just want to give you a since I've seen other posts about your journey towards healing your gut (and can totally relate personally!). What about HibiClense douche before your water breaks and the washes during labor once your water is broken? Here are some pubmed abstracts regarding it's efficacy. If that won't for your care providers (whatever happened to informed consent?) then perhaps your best bet is to get the antibiotic for yourself and hopefully avoid...
Will you be apprenticing (gaining initial training and experience) or assisting coming in with some previous experience? My understanding (and it could be flawed, I'm pretty new to all this) is that apprenticeship is usually training and experience in exchange for assisting, usually no pay although my preceptor has been very generous and has bought myself and the other apprentice books and supplies. Assistants have some skills and experience and are compensated for it. ...
I'm one of Carolyn's apprentices so let me know if I see you in the office one day
I know that there has been some debate about whether or not pressure cooking is "TF" but most of the discussion I've seen concludes with giving it the pass I got a pressure cooker for making my bone broths. It's much faster, about 1.5-2 hours, and many of the bones end up very brittle, some of the smaller ones mash up really easily and almost melt away into the broth. I'd imagine that it leaches out as much or more of the minerals than regular simmering. Testing a...
I think the initial phone call would be really beneficial but I'm not that good on the phone (it was a crucial part of my past job and I loathed it). I've also got two noisy boys so I don't get much quiet time for phone conversations. If you're a regular phone interviewer, how do you do it with small children around? It's one thing for me to have a conversation with my sister where I can stop mid sentence and yell (speak loudly with authority ) across the room at my...