or Connect

Posts by b&c'smama

I think I remember reading a couple months back that although the real estate market as a whole is still in bad shape, the market for inexpensive starter homes was pretty good. I can't help but think that the 8K tax credit for first-time home buyers will make that niche even stronger. Maybe you should talk to a few realtors who specializes in low-end/starter homes to get their thoughts. Good Luck!
The couscous salad sounds wonderful!!! I also think solar ovens sound interesting... I thought that a good solar oven was pricey though. I may have to re-invesitgate. Some things we do: lots of pasta salads (made in the morning), cold chicken, grilled chicken, bbq, and crock-pot things (like pulled pork) and I put the crock pot out on the deck.
I would love the recipe for buttermilk herb chicken dinner. You have inspired me to re-stock the freezer!
I use almost all natural or homemade cleaners, but my smooth cooktop is one place where I don't. I just can't get good results. I use a razor to scrape off solids, then I use "Barkeeper's Friend" - this is a powder, kind of like comet. It smells yucky and is probably toxic, but it really gets off stuff that nothing else does. Then I polish it with ceramic cooktop cleaner, which shines it nicely. I hate using all the chemicals, but nothing else seems to work as well. ...
I agree. It sounds like it is not grounded and could be very dangerous. I'd get an electrician out immediately! Until then I'd unplug it, but to be safe, I'd turn off the circuit breaker before I'd even do that! I don't know much about electricity, but I would want the outlet checked out even before I got a free one off craigslist - just in case it is a problem with the outlet instead of the oven. I can totally relate to not having enough money... but I would...
I had a dishwasher repairer specifically tell me NOT to pre-rinse too well. He said your dishwasher detergent needs stuff to wash off and if there isn't enouigh it will eventually result in etching on your glasses. He also said newer dishwasher come with food disposals built in. I don't rinse, unless its something really yucky, chunky, etc. Oh yeah and egg yolks are awful.
I would love to make homemade "hot pockets" (those things sold in the freezer section - it's bread stuffed with meats, cheeses, etc.) If I make them myself, I could use whole grains, organic cheese, fresh veggies, etc. I think at one time my MIL had some sort of sandwich cooker that made them: she put in bread and whatever she wanted to fill it with and closed the lid and it cooked and sealed them. (She also used it to make turnovers with cherry pie filling and cream...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I'm kind of surprised how popular made beds are. We always had to make them as kids, but I never make the bed as an adult. It just seems so pointless to me. I think the last time I made the bed was when our landlord was showing the house for sale. The closest I come is pulling the comforter roughly straight, so I can sort and fold laundry... I agree that it seems pointless... but at the same time I...
: Thanks everyone for great ideas!
I hope this is the right place to put this... If not, mods, please feel free to move it. We are really trying to do a better job of eating up what we have/using leftovers/reduce food waste. I think the answer is probably "no," but does anyone know for sure if you can freeze potatoe salad? We made up one on Sunday with baked potatoes, ranch dressing, mayo, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. It is really yummy, but I made too much and the kids don't...