or Connect

Posts by sewaneecook

I had never heard of felted soap, thanks for the suggestion!
We use a timer for so many other things, I don't know why I didn't think of it for a bath! I've tried very hard to avoid body care products containing petrochemicals and, while Aveeno and Eucerin advertise that they are natural, they have many of the chemicals I have avoided for years. Which is why we use the Dr. Bronner products and plain coconut oil for a moisturizer. I recently purchased a locally made organic bar soap that I hope will work in a wash cloth pocket. ...
I'm 32 weeks along too and was having horrible leg cramps that woke me up every night, despite calcium and magnesium supplements. Then I started drinking nettle tea as part of my quest to be GBS- and my nightly cramps went away after the first day! I purchased a pound of dried nettles from vistacost.com and each night I boil a quart of water and then add it to a half cup of dried nettles and let it steep overnight. I strain out the nettles the next morning and drink the...
RiverTam, you describe a lot of our current routine. He won't allow us to comb his hair, so it's short and doesn't need combing and only gets washed about every 7-10 days in the winter, more frequently in the summer when he's in the dirt more. He plays in the tub a couple times a week and I use soap only when I wash his hair. I occasionally add oil to his bath since he won't let me put it on him afterward and his skin is quite dry. I also started putting some heavy...
I've tried a foaming soap and he resists that too! We haven't had a soap with a "prize" inside in a while, but the last time we did, DS got the toys out by running it under running water! I may get another bar with a toy in it to see if it would help.
My 6 year old DS had his first appt with a developmental pediatrician yesterday. My suspicions were confirmed during the appt that he has sensory issues and is likely on the high functioning end of autism (further testing will be done this spring and summer). Anyone have any tips that work for a child who tantrums through every shower because he doesn't like soap? We use Dr. Bronner's Shikakai soap that's unscented, so one of the most gentle available and he still hates...
Glad you found something that works for you and your family! The birth center drive isn't my favorite, but it hasn't been too bad in labor, surprisingly! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and your birth!
The harmony definitely looks narrow. We would prefer a high back booster so DS can fall asleep more easily in it (on long trips, which we take 4-5 per year, plus he'll take short naps on errand running at least once per week). If we can't find one that fits safely, we'll obviously have to look at the no back boosters. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'd look in to pertussis too! For regular coughs a ginger tea works wonders for me. Simmer fresh ginger, minced, for about 20 minutes, strain, add some honey, fresh lemon and drink like a tea. Elderberry syrup is also good. You can buy this premade, or make your own: 1/2 c. dried elderberries (I get mine from a local health food store), 3 c. water, simmer 30-45 minutes. Mash berries in the water, strain and add 1/2 the amount of honey as there is liquid left. Store...
I know this is an old post, but if you're still looking for birth options, I've heard great things about the homebirth midwife you mentioned and have had a lot of friends who have used her (both at her house and in their own homes). However I have no personal experience with her. I have had 2 births at the Women's Wellness and Maternity Center and it's been a great compromise for my wanting a hombirth, but not a hospital birth and DH not being quite comfortable with a...