or Connect

Posts by sewaneecook

Homemade bread with PB&J (open faced), sliced carrots or apple for a side.  We do cheese toast for lunch sometimes ... toast some bread, add some shredded cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes to make it a bit crispy (top with some mustard or horseradish for extra kick) and a side of tomato soup (usually heated veggie juice with some added basil).  Melt some shredded cheese on a tortilla, add some spices and beans, roll up and eat. 
I like the Jillian Michaels DVDs too.  The Shred is a great starter and Ripped in 30 steps it up a notch.  I'm going to start her 90 day program soon ... Body Revolution.  I'm also a runner, swimmer, and I get bored with most DVDs very easily, but hers are short and effective.  Like many others, I'm not a fan of her, but her workouts are great.
I've had blister issues off and on.  Sometimes it is the shoes, if the toe box is too tight blisters can result.  Sometimes it's simply mileage.  I tend to get blisters when I run over 15 miles on a long run.  When I have tender areas, I add body glide before going running.  After running, keep the blisters uncovered so that the skin hardens during the week rather than keeping it covered and soft.  If the blisters keep filling back up, use a sterilized needle to thread a...
We refinanced a year ago and went from 5.875% fixed rate on a 30 year loan (20 years left to pay) and we're now down to a 3.6% fixed rate on a 7 year loan (with 6 years left to pay).  We're paying about $500 more per month than our original mortgage, but only about $200 more than we paid each month since we paid extra anyway.  We hope that the refinance will allow us to pay off our house in about 4 more years.  The extra that we're saving with the lower rate was well...
That's not the answer I wanted to hear, but I definitely want to be safe if we have another baby.  Now I need to do more reseasrch on what other mattress to buy!  (I already know to stay away from pillow tops!)
We're in the market for a new mattress.  We really like Tempurpedic beds, but I know they have quite a potent smell when they are new.  Is this safe for co-sleeping with a toddler?  Would it be safe to co-sleep with a newborn in the future?  We would get one of the firmer mattresses, if that makes a difference.
Throughout infancy, DS2 nursed only for nutrition ... not for comfort, not to go to sleep, only when he was hungry.  I had to completely rediscover how to parent and calm an infant.  This continued until about 18 months when he suddenly switched to wanting to nurse All. The. Time.  He's now 2 1/2 (and he nurses more than he did as a newborn!) and no amount of distraction works and I'm getting to the point where nursing him in public is uncomfortable (he'll hang out for...
We were given a "No, David" book when DS was born.  I gave it away because everything that David did was wrong, even though he was only doing things most kids do.  I mostly stick with classic books and discuss books with my older DS about why things are done and what could have been done differently.  As for Max getting sent to bed without his supper, there have definitely been nights when I feel like Max's mom and want to send my kid away while I'm making dinner.  I...
When my first child turned 2 1/2, he went from being calm, easily distracted, and easygoing to throwing tantrums for small things, nothing would distract him, and he was always getting in to things that weren't a problem before.  I had thought he could sense that a new sibling was coming soon and that caused the change, but DS2 is going through the same change and I'm not pregnant right now.  There's something about the development at 2 1/2 that kids start to try to show...
I'm trying to get better about meal planning.  Here's my menu for this week + for a family of 4 (the 2 kids eat about half an adult serving each dinner):   At the beginning of the week I cooked down the chicken bones used on 1/8 and veggie scraps from the freezer to make broth, then I cooked about 4-5 meals of black beans to freeze, and thawed a buffalo chuck roast to split in to 2 meals (it was about 2 pounds) and I chopped up leftover chicken to use in future meals...