or Connect

Posts by pbk

I've had two HBACs. Both were wonderful, though quite different. Simply put, they were the most empowering experiences of my life. I'd suggest reading anything by Henci Goer, Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth, any book that would be recommended for homebirth in general. I also found Silent Knife and Open Season about VBAC in general. Two books I read and enjoyed which are out of print are Artemis Speaks (this one is a little hippy-ish) and VBAC: Very Beautiful...
I've put Cuisinairre Rods on her wish list for the grandparents, along with some clothes, puzzles and books. One thing we are suggesting is a really cheap digital camera. She constantly wants to take pictures, but we won't let her use the good digital. A cheap film camera would bankrupt us in film. I'll make her another waldorf doll, and I'm knitting her some hats and socks for her dolls. I make pj's for us all every year too. She'll be getting some easy reader...
One thing that really helped me was reading about the risks of rupture in comparison to other things we never give a second thought about. You can read that at the midwife archives http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vbacrisk.html. It was assembled by the husband of an ICAN member, IIRC. It was quite eye opening and reassuring. Also, it helps to remember that not all ruptures are created equal. A rupture that is small and/or caught early can be easily repaired...
The single best thing I did was insist that DH come with me to the intital meet and chat interview appointment with my DEMs. After talking with them for an hour and discussing any and all fears that he had, he could tell that they were professionals that had my best interests at heart, not just some hippy-dippy women. It also helped to remind him that *I* was the one giving birth, and that decision was ultimately mine. I gave him the option of proving to me that...
I voted country. I've lived in the country and I know it's my ideal. However, where we are now will be very hard to leave. It's a smaller town (10K people) with a real downtown. We live 2 blocks off the downtown, and are always walking to the library, bank, PO, stores, etc. I drive only 1-3x a week, usually just 5 minutes to the grocery store or Walmart. Last year, I put only 4K miles on the van. We really love it here. Brenda, mama to Abigail, Isabella and...
I was attending LLL meetings, and I asked at one if anyone had the name of a homebirth midwife, could they please talk to me afterwards. I got three names and called them. None had a problem with VBAC, though I did have to sign a special waiver.
Safe womb, small world! Gabi is so nice. She gave me a tip on doing the eyes that really improved the dolls I make my own kids. Seeing her dolls makes me want to learn how to crochet so that I can do the multi-style wigs for our dolls too. It's nice to meet you too. I'm not at MDC all that often, but maybe I'll see you around. Brenda, mama to Abigail (section due to breech), Isabella (HBAC) and Vincent (HBAC)
I have to agree with stafl about having not emotional reaction right afterwards. It took me a little while to allow myself to grieve. Right after the birth, I was in a state of denial. I was telling myself that I'd been in control, that I felt like I had still birthed her since I could feel when she left my body. In reality, I was feeling powerless, helpless and out of control. I Recovering physically wasn't hard for me, but the emotional recovery was very...
I can only vote once, but both VBACs were at home. Brenda, mama to Abigail (section due to breech), Isabella (HBAC) and Vincent (HBAC) http://www.peanutbutterkisses.com
Congratulations, Verushka! Brenda mama to... Abigail (3-98, c-section due to breech) Isabella (12-99, HBAC) and Vincent (9-02, HBAC) http://www.peanutbutterkises.com