or Connect

Posts by laohaire

Why not? Because you're thin?   This is the fundamental point you will need to examine.   You did need to think about what you eat, whether you did or didn't. But it was every bit as important for you to think about what you eat as it is for your daughter.   I personally think deli meat is not the best because it's processed, you're right. But there's a relativity to this, too. But yeah, I think it's better to use, say, chicken pieces leftover from your roasted whole...
I read it as a 10 minute window between the middle child's bus and when they have to LEAVE to drop off the younger child.   Which really should be no problem - a bus may be a few minutes late sometimes but if it's regularly more than 10 minutes late, that is a serious issue that needs to be taken up separately with the school/bus charter.   I really don't see why a 10 minute window wouldn't be more than enough - unless the OP is not planning the morning so...
Well, I will just tell you my experience. It doesn't apply to everybody but it probably applies to some.   A few years ago I started trying to lose weight by reducing calories and exercising. I did weights and jogging, and didn't count calories at first but just ate less. The exercise was clearly a health benefit for me, and I felt better and stronger, but none of the fat was coming off. Everybody just said "oh, you're just gaining muscle" but truly, the fat wasn't...
I think it's asking a lot of a 6 year old to monitor his grandmother - I see the theory of it but in practice, it's really hard. So his grandmother says "ok kiddo, let's just go with the seatbelt" and he says "grandma, I'm not supposed to" and she says "oh, your mother never has to know." And now what is he supposed to do? Few 6 year olds would be able to stand up to this.   My trust in grandma would be lost. She's done it to your son and she's done it to your nephew...
You know what? I was totally wrong.   The official recommendation is to put your infant into a self rescue course, then rely on it.   It will be the best time and money you ever spent! Once your infant has completed the course, you are free to drop him or her off at the pool, lake or ocean and hit the bars! This is your first (and only!) recourse against drowning! Infants who successfully complete the course no longer need supervision! People who take water...
  NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY SUGGESTED THIS AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR SUPERVISION.   NOBODY.
Can't... help... myself... must... add.... two... cents...   I doubt anyone disagrees that supervision is Number One at All Times. Total agreement!!!   Part of good parenting, in addition to supervision, is planning for contingencies. So even if you supervise your children properly, you put the matches away and all that good stuff. Because even the best parents know that sometimes stuff happens. Kids run off, are out of sight for two seconds, distractions major...
$4 is indeed a trade fee. Sorry if I'm explaining something you already understand, but I wasn't sure if you understood it - the 401(k) is a tax shelter, but it is not in and of itself an investment. You have to put the money into an investment inside the 401(k) for it to grow, otherwise it will sit earning absolutely nothing (which apparently actually happens all the time, because people do not understand that 401(k) is not an investment but just a tax shelter). The tax...
Whether your parents were terrific and just had a minor flaw or two, or outright abusive and neglectful - what mistakes did your parents make with you (and your siblings, if you like)?   Too strict? Too lax? Fed you too much junk food? Made you feel like you couldn't eat anything unless it was completely pure? Shamed you? Overpraised you? Did everything for you? Did nothing for you? Did not protect your safety?   And what was the effect on you, and how have you...
Well, if you have alternative child care, you could just say that you're going to do everyone a favor and keep the chaos to a minimum! I mean, I would imagine your MIL would be happy to not have this chore while having a MONTH LONG visit, that's stressful on everyone.   If she protests that it's no problem, just say that it just does seem like a lot of chaos and you already arranged it (seriously, just go ahead and arrange it, don't wait for permission), and reassure...