or Connect

Posts by laohaire

Oh, please. Making P/A statements does not make for respectful dialogue.   "I like actual science" is P/A speak for "and you like looking for shapes in incense after you fart in it and call that evidence."   Ditto with everything else.   "It's the Internet" - so? Do we cease to become people when our modems are connected?   Perhaps the fundamental difference is that some people have already decided they are right about everything and use the Internet for amusement, and...
Well, this just sucks.   It's apparently not possible to have a real discussion on this topic. Which reinforces all the black and white thinking.
Also, you didn't answer my question (not that you are required to, obviously, but in case you thought you did answer my question).   I was thinking you must have had some personal, negative experience with labels in your own life. Perhaps that is something to explore.   Your quote from Daffodil is not the personal experience. It was apparently a trigger for you, and I was curious as to why.   There are some very valid issues with labels. It would be helpful...
  Wow. People have, granted, been telling you things you don't want to hear. But that is not rude.   This, on the other hand, is seriously, shockingly rude:     There is a very good reason why I said it "almost" (and at this point I would change that to "clearly") sounds like you are saying there is something wrong with having special needs. It wasn't an attack, it was based on your words, right there above. You were very, very rude to that poster and frankly you owe her...
I was curious to know what your personal experience with labels is? It seems to be a trigger for you, and probably for good reason.
I think there are some issues with "labels" but I think dismissing them all is very misguided.   If my parents had been more concerned about avoiding a "label" for me than about figuring out what was going on, they would not have bothered to have my hearing tested.   If my parents had been more concerned about avoiding me being "forced into a mold" than helping me reach my full potential, I would not have hearing aids and would not have had speech...
I am so sorry honey.   It meant a lot to me to hear of all the doctors and nurses and staff who stayed so you could see them all and know they all tried so hard to save your son's life.   Imakcerka is totally right, you did absolutely nothing wrong. We all try to ascribe some meaning or figure out what we could have done differently, and that's ok, but you really and truly did nothing wrong.   I'm so sorry, truly and deeply sorry.
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I do think it sounds like there is something going on. Could this be a sensory thing?   This is maybe a weird tangent, but he says he sucks at art. Does he? What kind and level of art work does he produce? How is his writing and reading?   Would you say "impulse control problems" might sum it up, or are you thinking something else?
This one resonated for me: "Enough time to bathe without it being a prison shower."   I guess on Mother's Day I would really just like a bath. Alone. For, like, an hour.   I don't wear earrings but ponytail holders have gone missing to the point where I refuse to buy more and I horde the last one. DD asks for it about every week and I say no.   I also have gotten really cranky about keeping some things nice. Really cranky. I am just happy that when DD decided...
  I've been making similar threats for a long while.   If you decide to do it, let me know. Maybe I'll take the leap too.