or Connect

Posts by laohaire

sbgrace, I say "bah" to you for telling me what I don't want to hear.     I think I'll try magnesium first.
I think you are 100% in the right. Not just "don't feel too bad about it" but "there is nothing for you to feel bad about."   You told them you'd need to confirm on Monday. They didn't tell you that would not be possible. It should have been possible to leave a message, anyway. They should have been apologizing to YOU about not having the advertised product or at least a knowledgeable salesperson around during advertised business hours. You were the...
"Oh?"   Examples:   "Oh, you finally got your girl!" "Oh?"   "4th times a charm!" "Oh?"   "you must have been so RELIEVED when you found out it was a girl!" "Oh?"   Alternatives: "Really?" "Is that right?"
I don't think there's anything wrong with distancing yourself from people if the way they live bother you. Even if you intellectually acknowledge that it's fine. There's no law saying you have to be close to everyone, or even that you have to justify distancing yourself.
I agree that this is how MY brain works with the n + 1 stuff. But I see with my DH (who is, obviously, grown-up, intelligent, etc.) that his brain is wired differently, and DD is clearly similar. DH finds it difficult to look up things in the yellow pages, for example.   Believe me, I'm no "sit and drill with flashcards all day long" kind of person. In fact, I originally assumed we wouldn't do it at all until we got to the multiplication tables.   However, I see...
While I can't say for sure that everything sounds hunky dory, I haven't read anything that is definitely off. As others have pointed out, being thin doesn't mean neglect (my daughter is in the 3rd percentile for weight, and believe me, we offer her tons of food). Eating a ton at your house doesn't mean anything either. They could eat the same amount at home, or they could just have a case of the grass is greener. Sometimes DD eats more elsewhere than at home.   As...
One of the reasons I homeschool is so that people who don't know my daughter or aren't familiar with right-brained learning or who assume everyone thinks the same won't waste everyone's time assuming she's remedial when she just thinks differently.   She is extremely strong on the concept of numbers and order. She also definitely knows intuitively not only what is a bigger or smaller number, but can even look at two separate unsolved sums (say, 5+6 and 4+9)...
Yeah, that makes sense to me but DD just hasn't caught on to it. I've worked with her on it and... I dunno.   That's why I just decided to move right along into memorization. I think the rest will come with time - though I don't know for sure. I do know for sure that she thinks differently than I do, so I'm in unfamiliar waters.
Mine is the same way. She has absolutely grasped the meaning of numbers, and absolutely grasped the meaning of addition. However, she counts from 1 no matter what. So, 6 + 1, she will solve by counting to herself, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.   She does have n + 0 fine, though I understand that not all children grasp that concept - but she did.   n + 1, though, yes, we have to drill. What else would we do? She knows how to add but she needs to memorize it so she doesn't exhaust...
Not to pick on words, but not more needy - her needs won't change. But more demanding? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I think that different families can have different levels of responsiveness that still all fall under good parenting. As long as you respond to her NEEDS, you can also just follow your instinct about responding to her wants. She will benefit from learning to entertain herself over time. I seriously doubt you are neglecting her, just based on the fact that you are...