or Connect

Posts by laohaire

"What you do reflects on me" - that's huge, and no doubt related.   My book recommendations:   When Your Kids Push Your Buttons: And What You Can Do About It by Bonnie Harris This one talks about "triggers" in your parenting that make you react with impatience, anger, guilt, frustration, etc. She talks about how to identify the triggers and how to break your automatic reaction so that you can move to a more constructive approach.   Family Patterns Workbook...
I think the reasonable amount is the one that lets you sleep at night. Personally, I would think the chances of a major medical wipeout and job loss and I don't know what are reasonably slim - I do know it happens though. But ultimately, the amount I have lets me sleep at night. In no way does it cover every possible scenario, but I feel like I won't get anywhere if I'm stuck piling up cash forever. I want to move on to paying off my mortgage now and feel like I have...
My two cents is just that sometimes it happens that way. My kiddo sleeps a lot less than her peers, and it's certainly not because we don't "let" her sleep long enough. In fact, she is one of the lucky kids who can sleep as long as she wants, doesn't get woken up in the morning.
I wonder if trying to get more insight into your feelings might be the way to go about this. Here are just some random ideas; do any of them ring a bell or remind you of something?   Your parents judge you as a parent based on what DS does (and by extension you also feel judged by society as a whole). You have tried so hard to back off and let him bloom at his own pace that you resent how easy it is for him, when it was so hard for you as a child. Or,...
Hmm. I don't really know, but just talking out what comes to mind:   - Most of the nutrients are in the marrow, so cracking certain bones might be a good idea. But just one snap/crack should do it, not anything like splintering the whole thing, and I don't think you would need to crack, say, every rib bone or scapula etc.   - A teaspoon of vinegar in the mix does a VERY good job of softening the bones. When I do two batches of broth from the same carcass (and I...
Don't worry, you'll get answers :) It's just pretty slow here on Sundays, but it will ramp up today especially as the other time zones arise.   Are you side-carring the crib? That is, is it right next to your bed, or is it placed away in the room, or in another room?   I can deeply sympathize with sleep desperation and agree that mothers need adequate sleep. My own solution wouldn't apply to you (I had DH take over the nighttime parenting, which worked very...
I'm sorry, it sounds like you are in a frustrating time financially.   The good news is that you ARE getting ahead. If you feel like you've now saved enough to have an adequate emergency fund, YAY! You've just achieved something major!   What do you plan to do next with the "extra" money? I'll tell you what I'm doing (I too just completed an emergency fund I am comfortable with): we rewarded ourselves with the "extra" money for one month, just for fun. It wasn't...
What are you working on right now? I mean, money over and above bills, is it going toward your emergency fund still, or repaying debt, or you don't have any extra money over and above bills right now?   If you are still padding your emergency fund, you are getting ahead. Do you have an end in sight?   I think that we should really see the EF for what it is, and let go of the assumption that it has to be an investment. It's not. I am sure you and I would feel a...
Wow, is this supposed to be a general thing?   I just checked my local credit union's rates. I could get 0.15% on $10,000, or if I deposited $100,000 or more I could enjoy 0.3%. The poor souls with only a couple thou will get 0.05%. Ugh. Better off with ING.
Yeah, I get cranky about this. The rock bottom interest rate is set up to encourage people to use debt (why not, it's cheap) and discourage saving (letting a pile of money sit and earn 0.8% is crazy). And it's not going to change soon.   It's your emergency fund, so you want it liquid. If you lock it in a CD you would lose fees for cashing it in early if you need to. If you put it in the market you might need it when values are low. You could take those risks anyway,...