or Connect

Posts by CinnamonDeMarco

Quote: Originally Posted by mamawanabe There is a different cultural context between sahm/wohm and public/home schooling. People who send their kids to school aren't made to feel guilty for doing so. They aren't attacked as selfish and materialistic and bad parents and told they should homeschool, at very least when their kids are small (at the same time that homeschoolers are told they aren't doing anything important). I agree. I don't...
Okay someone whose husband makes more money than mine can tell me "It must be nice to so lucky to stay home. I don't have that luxury." and that makes sense? They have more luxuries than me. Isn't that what the thread is about? You know, when a homeschooler posts about annoying commments they hear about homeschooling, they get support. No one comes to say why people who don't homeschool might be offended by the thread. Why is this board so hostile? It's weird.
hhurd and lisac77, Start another thread. I'll post on it. I shouldn't have brought it up on this thread.
Quote: Originally Posted by Pynki In my experience, you are wrong. It IS a luxury to be able to stay at home with your children. It comes from a vast base of privilege, and a certain material allowence to be able to do. It IS a LUXURY. One thousands of women in the US do not have open to them. You don't get to qualify statements like that with ... Or by saying you weren't talking about the POOR WOHM's. Just the uppity ones you don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamawanabe Say our rich lawyer friend, Adam, tells us about his week-long vacation in the Bahamas. We respond "You are so lucky." Adam gets irked at us for not recognizing the sacrifices they went/go through (7 years of school, never going out in college so they could make the grades they needed, working 60 hours weeks in a high pressure environment). Adam vents on a message board that people need to aknowledge that it...
I haven't dealt with these issues, but, can you ask your MIL to limit the TV and snacks? Would be she be willing to do that? A lady I know has a daughter who found out about Bratz at school. She begged her Mom for a Bratz bookbag. (a bag with a picture of a Bratz doll on it) Her Mom told her why she doesn't like Bratz (skimpy clothes) and if other Moms buy these things, fine, but she isn't allowed to have a Bratz bookbag. The daughter was unhappy. What else can can...
Quote: Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa I think it can be good for some children who are lucky enough to be in good day care with caring, attentive caregivers. I worked in many childcare situations and those were not the majority unfortunately. Anyway yes I think it can be good for kids, but it often isnt. Did you work in a good day care that was good for kids? I'm interested in hearing more about it.
Quote: Originally Posted by la mamita The only kind of job I can afford is nights and weekends--stuff like KMart, grocery stores, etc. I can't afford to put DS in daycare to work that kind of a job, so I need the shifts that are nights/weekends so my parents can take care of the baby during that time. Many people work 9-5 M-F (even people who don't have kids) and use nights/weekends to do their shopping--thus there is a demand for the stores to be open....
Ha! This is so true. Someone who was helping her 3 kids out of her new SUV so they could run off to private school said to me, "I don't have the luxury of staying home." and she said it in an insulting tone of voice. I was walking with my stroller and K-Mart clothes. Luxury? Whatever. I think she is jealus of me
Quote: Originally Posted by hhurd These cashiers probably work weekends because they need to earn money (and/or they *like* working), and not because they have to be available for individuals to buy things. That would be the shop *owners*. The store is open so people can shop there. If no one shops on Sundays the store will start closing on Sundays. What if I am that one person who made it profitable for the store to stay open on Sunday? I...