or Connect

Posts by dubfam

Quote: Originally Posted by newbymom05 I had someone in the meat dept (Sprouts or Krogers, can't remember which) tell me that there really was no such thing as a grocery store "fresh" turkey since they all had to be frozen--by law/food safety--during transport. We get ours from a grocery store, but since they are local birds they have never been frozen. We are spoiled
Quote: Originally Posted by newbymom05 I've seen .20-40# but they all involve spending a set amount before that price kicks in. I think I paid around .30 last year. Every year I think about getting a free range turkey, but $50-$75 vs. under $10--not much contest, unfortunately. You get what you pay for, though. The extra $$ (if you can afford it) if worth it. Where I live I can get free range for as little as $1.59 per pound, if it were over $3...
Quote: Originally Posted by preemiemamarach For anyone who thinks it inconvenient to keep your kid home after intentionally infecting them with a highly contagious vpd, imagine the inconvenience those of us with medically fragile kids go through when our kids get extremely sick and end up in the hospital from exposure. And ftr, my kid looks perfectly healthy, not too frail to answer the door. But because I can't trust people to keep their kids home when...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sierra Someone could test this for you...if you knew someone in biology or chemistry maybe they could refer you to a person who could do the testing (??). I don't eat meat, and never have, but putting myself in your shoes, I'd most likely throw it out (even though it would be painful to do so). This is an interesting idea. Also, I know this sounds terrible, but our local food banks have actually been ASKING for...
The meat is neatly (double) wrapped in white butcher's paper. It is labeled with the date, source and type of meat. I looked again today and I actually think it is closer to 50 pounds, possibly more! The meat seriously looks perfect (at least the package I unwrapped did) and I would never guess that it is 5 years old. It looks like it could be a month old. I am leaning toward feeding it to the dog...but I don't want to waste it if it *is* edible. But I don't think I am...
thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a way to heat my garage this winter.
Quote: Originally Posted by ferrum97 I would not use it. Even though the people say it's been frozen the whole time, there's no way to know for sure. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to meat, though, so maybe I am just too paranoid. I am worried about this as well, but it looks and smells fine.
Quote: Originally Posted by Denvergirlie So long as it hasn't been thawed and frozen again (long power outages, etc), it's safe to eat. Nothing can "grow" when it's frozen. Now it will most likely be rather tough and loss of flavor, but it's edible. That is what I was thinking...it would maybe work okay in sauces or for taco meat, but not for burgers. But I am a *little* nervous...
I just moved into a rental that has about 20 pounds of local frozen ground beef in the freezer. It is nearly 5 years old. It is well wrapped, and does not smell or look bad. It still has a nice red color, and appears to have been frozen solid the entire 5 years. I am renting the house from the people who bought the beef originally, and they said it was frozen the entire time. Is it safe to eat? I was thinking of using it in chili and marinara sauce. I figure it will not...
Wow. I don't think that the doctors are doing all that stuff for no reason. This thread is going too far...comparing it to child abuse and implying that the doctors are trying to hurt babies. That is pretty extreme.