or Connect

Posts by MammaV

Kids learn so much on their own. My oldest does need intervention, but my typical 5yo can do addition and subtraction in his head and I've never taught it to him. He likes to figure out how many more times he's run around the house or jumped on the trampoline than his siblings have.
I'd just like to chime in that my soon to be 5yo son does not like to do anything structured for schooling. He's not interested in numbers, letters etc. He does love exercise, swordplay, imagining things, playing the old battleships, playing the game pigs. One thing I did for learning shapes etc was to use sidewalk chalk and draw them out and then he could destroy the picture while I talked to him about the shape. Your son might enjoy cutting up shapes, not cutting...
The Minnesota Zoo is fun, we live about 10 minutes from it and would love to meet up with you if you go. PM me. Como Zoo and Conservatory Mall of America Jackson Street Roundhouse St. Paul Children's Museum St. Paul Cathedral in St. Paul History Museum in St Paul Dodge Nature Center http://www.dodgenaturecenter.org/ Lebanon Hills Visitor Center http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/LeisureRe...itorCenter.htm Centennial lakes in Edina for nice outdoor ice...
My kids like Planets Distant Suns Compass Metronome Doodle Buddy Lightsaber - not educational, but the boys love it. fling free fuzzle lite snowman math audiobooks I just found a whole bunch of freebies when I plugged in my phone and went on itunes. There's a nice educational section with lots of freebies.
anti-nausea drugs are hit and miss. I don't have nausea and vomiting during labor and birth, but I do have hyperemesis during the beginning of my pregnancies. I've tried a bunch of different anti-nausea drugs with no relief at all. In fact I haven't found one that works yet. Some of them actually make me feel even worse. I'd be reluctant to try a drug during labor when you don't know how it's going to affect you. Bach Flower Essence Rescue Remedy might be helpful to...
I had one homebirth in an inflatable pool. DH started filling it with the correct temp until we ran out of water, then he added some hot as it had cooled down. We always turn our hot water as hot as it will go so that we get more bang for our buck. I was in the tub for 1/2 hour, just to push the baby out. I've also had two homebirths with an aqua doula tub. I like the inflatable better because it has the thick sides to lean on. The nice thing about the aqua doula is...
I just had my 3rd homebirth/4th child a week ago. It was 44 minutes from start to finish. The midwife arrived just as the baby was crowning. DH was fabulous and caught the baby. There's no way I could have gotten into a car and driven the 20 minutes to the nearest hospital. It would have been sheer agony! Home was the best place for us!
My 8yo DD struggles as well. We had her tested for vision disorders and found she had four. We do vision therapy and have noticed marked improvement in just three months. She exhibited a lot of the same symptoms mentioned in the original post. I also had her tested for learning disabilities, but we don't have our discovery meeting until January.
We struggled here too and found out that we were dealing with 4 vision disorders. We're doing vision therapy now and after just a couple of months have seen an improvement in reading as well as the ability to sound out/blend sounds and distinguish different but similar lower case letters like b and d.
My DD Roo is 8 and speech delayed. She started speech therapy when she was four and at five went 5x a week at our early education center for 2 1/2 hours a day for speech therapy. She still goes to our public school 2x a week for speech and 1x a week for grammer/syntax. It's been somewhat helpful for her to work on her challenges with someone who is not me. We had one year when she did not like her speech pathologist, but otherwise has enjoyed all her teachers. We...