or Connect

Posts by alisoninparis

Count me in the $1000-$2000 club. I have most of my receipts saved in my 'Orders' email folder, but I'm honestly too scared to actually do the math. I have sold a lot of stuff as well, so it would make it really hard to figure out. All I know is that even though I tell people it's cheaper to CD than to use sposies, it's not actually true for me! I'm just totally addicted, and I get bored easily, so my stash is a constantly mutating beast.
www.tinybirdsorganics.com is the best place to find wool clothing and covers, IMHO. I have a lot of wool but tend to use it more at night or in warmer months when DD can just wear it under a dress or T-shirt. When it starts to get cool I add BabyLegs to keep her legs warm. But as it gets colder those gaps between the BabyLegs and the covers will become a problem, so we will start putting pants over. I usually use AIOs or PUL covers under clothes, but I recently got a Luxe...
Don't listen to the other mamas who are recommending environmentally UNfriendly dipes! Definitely try gDiapers. I just used them for a week while we were visiting NYC and they worked great—not one single leak the whole time, and there were moments when we were stuck away from home for 4-5 hours without an extra dipe. For nighttime, use two inserts. They are a little more expensive than regular sposies, but they flush down the toilet. You can also throw them in the trash...
Great job researching, mama! Thanks for passing on your findings. I agree that SB OVs are awesome for trimness and absorption. I also find Little Beetle Hemp Lites (with the doubler) to be comparably absorbent and almost more trim. I like the non-closure kind because you can use a snappi for a wide range of adjustibility and it doesn't have the extra bulk of snaps or velcro. I'm also loving the new BG fitteds so far (only 2 uses though) but they are not as trim (just crazy...
OK, I've just about tried them all and here's my verdict: Rumpsters are the very trimmest and have very good absorbency and poopsplosion protection. Next thinnest are Very Baby AIOs (mine have sewn-in microfiber soakers). I tried the Swaddlebees AIOs and not only were they not the trimmest in terms of puffiness (though they do have a trim cut, especially in the crotch), they wicked for us even after more than a dozen washes. If you want trim, you'll want to dish out the...
We went through a thankfully brief peanut-butter-poo phase when DD started solids but after a terrible bout with constipation (poor baby!) she now makes perfect little bunny droppings that plop right off the dipe into the toilet. During the peanut butter phase I used flushable wipes to get as much of the nasties off the dipe as possible. Then I tried to do the laundry ASAP. Luckily she didn't poop more than once every couple of days. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed...
I ordered the gift box of powder, and when it came it said "Lingerie Powder" with a picture of a nude sunbathing chick on the box. Hmmm.... Anyway, there are no instructions about how much to use, and it seems to have no scent whatsoever. I wonder how smelly the laundry will be, considering it usually smells slightly stinky even when I use scented detergernt...
You mamas are all so sweet. I love coming to a place where most have already been through what I'm experiencing and can offer some wisdom or just the reassurance that it's normal and my baby and I will get through it. As for babywearing: I have an Ergo carrier which I have used for back carries only a couple of times. I've never tried a back carry with my mei tais and wraps, simply because I'm still pretty unsure of how to get DD on my back without dropping her. I do it...
Wow, that's surprising. Our OC hold up through the night (but just barely). They seem like overkill for daytime though. Have you prewashed yours several times for max absorbency?
Thanks for the hugs, mamas. I like to think that I didn't really let her CIO, as it didn't escalate into the real choking-screaming. She was so exhausted by that point that she lost the battle to stay awake after only a few minutes. My friend just called me up to suggest it may be teething, and after checking the Dr. Sears book I see ear-tugging is a sign of teething, and DD has been doing a lot of ear-tugging the past few days. She's not drooling too much, but she does...