or Connect

Posts by pina la nina

I cried today listening to "Free To Be You & Me." As much as I love to hear the messages of empowerment for girls and the invitations to sensitivity for boys, and it really moves me in my feminist core - I am wondering if my daughter needs to hear these messages today. Particularly "William wants a doll" where the chorus of kids tease William for wanting a doll, the take-home message is of course that those folks are wrong to tease him, and that it is way OK for him...
Hi Kati - Good Luck tomorrow! I had that same procedure done when I was 17 - way before I had my dd last year (at 30) and I was also worried about some of the things that are bothering you. Definitely talk to your dcotor - they should be able to explain the procedure better - so that you feel comfortable with the decision to have the surgery and what it entails. I had some anger afterwards that I didn't expect - just because I realized that I had been rushed into the...
lilyka - i was thinking of the temple situation too - how strange that must have been! This reminds me of the movie that depicts the life of the Dalai Lama (anybody remember the name?) where they show him as a young boy and he was so purposeful and calm. I imagine boy Jesus as very much like the boy Dalai Lama, different than other kids, not necessarily following his earth parents wishes or societal conventions, but very much not disobeying his heavenly father's...
Quickly - I'm on borrowed time here my dd should awaken at any moment... I love reading these! Much of what I love has been covered - also an extremely small congregation of sincere struggling loving individuals. I love that the brothers (Anglican Franciscan Friars - Society of St Francis in case anybody knows it) are open about themselves - whether their journey through AA or their acceptance of their homosexuality and their vows of chastity and poverty, etc. As a...
Don't know if this will help - or if there's any way to inspire him to do this - but when I was on crutches - it was the hugest workout! My upper body became so strong. Its a lot of work to get around on those things. Maybe if he likes being active he'd like the challenge of just getting out and going somewhere on crutches - like an easy hiking trail? A mile or two on crutches is no joke - maybe if he thinks of it as building up his upper body so he'll be more studly...
you are NOT to blame! Obviously this family has no idea how horribly you have suffered and can't seem to wrap their brains around their own pain (I think anyone looking to blame somebody is clearly in some serious denial). What a mess! I'm sorry you have to keep having this brought up by dealing with people who can't treat you well. It seems to me like these folks were so close to your late dh that if they have you to blame they'd end up having to blame themselves....
papabliss - let me first say - you rock! I think this is such a thoughtful question, it shows you to be such a concerned aware dad (plus I know this from your other posts!) dfoy said it so well - she was obviously a very lucky girl! My own dad felt, I think, the pressure (societal) to be more stern than he actually was at his heart. I have seen him so soft and sweet with my stepsister that I am jealous. He has apologized for some of what he did raising us, I think...
I think there are a lot of different issues we are talking about. Thanks to christine who was brave enough to share with us her experience (coming out as a newbie - welcome!) Key to all of this is that all kids are different, their abilities to handle different kinds of information needs to be the most important thing. If your kid turns out to be disturbed by something sexual they see, I think it would be important to make sure that what you bring in wouldn't make...
Just happened across this thread and we're listening to the soundtrack right now keep on the sunny side always on the sunny side of life! BTW - abimommy I think you're my long lost twin, I've been agreeing with you so much these days! I also love raising arizona - we just re-rented it. I have to say though, now with a dd, it makes me cringe - some of the scenes! Still wonderful! (And I do looove GC, thats been a long time crush o mine *blush*)
Thanks for the info veggie! I am just so shocked that anyone would even consider forcing their child underwater! Never ceases to amaze me how f**ked up some folks can be. My mom never learned to swim - her older brothers tried the tossing her in the river thing when she was a kid. She grew up utterly terrified of the water, only now as an adult can she go in up to her waist. She was so great with us as kids - even though she couldn't help us learn she made sure,...