or Connect

Posts by pina la nina

mamapie - so is it OK if I spell it chicken "coupe" (since that's what it is in the joke) therefore we laugh at the chicken who has a cool car? or would that be an elitist chicken??? pie_poppa - what are you doing on-line? Get back to work! (shouldn't you be baking some pies???) just kidding, sweetie! I totally agree - there's a set up aspect of certain jokes - the lightbulb jokes, the "Yo mama" jokes, which are insulting at face value but can be funny within the...
I've been lurking here, wondering these things myself - what makes "funny" ? I have an African American friend who e-mails me tons of jokes featuring said ethnic group (his, not blondes.) No way I'd be sending those on, but I admit to a chuckle or two and sharing them with dh when appropriate. But his aren't usually when blacks fail, but as a play on the fact that you expect it to be a racially denigrating joke, and its not. Still... So I think kama is so right,...
I love Pedro Almadovar anyway - his movies (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Live Flesh, etc) are strange yet wonderful. We just rented this and really recommend it (not for kids, of course.) Anybody seen it? I'd love to discuss the various forms of mother in the movie. What did you think?
Benecio del Toro I had the most awful crush on a grad student when I was in school - he taught one class of mine, he was so skinny his bike shorts hung off him and at the end of every class he'd be covered in chalk dust. He was ugly, a geek and I was head over heels. Man, the guy was brilliant. That does me in every time - what can I say?
I just discovered this site for the American Friends Service Committee. Having done some work with them in the past I thought of them when we came into a ton of medical supplies (gauze, etc.) we don't need (another story - part of a non-profit we run.) Anyway - they have a variety of projects that they need volunteers for, including making some crafty things: (dolls, mittens, afghans) http://www.afsc.org/emap/help/material.htm They send these to refugee camps. I...
What are monsters for? I mean, do kids need them to put a name on their fears? Or does talk of monsters generate fears that weren't there before? If your kid was never introduced to the concept of a monster under the bed, would they still be scared?
U2 (Joshua Tree) REM (Indigo Girls, opened for them before they were known) 10,000 Maniacs Ani DiFranco (like a million times, OK maybe 4x) Greg Brown Sarah McLaughlin (2x) Bill Staines Peter Gabriel Olu Dara Robert Cray Africa Fete, a few years back at Summerstage (Papa Wemba, Maryam Mursal, Cheikh Lo and Salif Keita - it was awesome!!!) Ladysmith Black Mambazo Rusted Root Live (they sucked, IMO) Jimmy Cliff (many years ago) and countless other wonderful...
We turned on the TV to check out the weather before I decided not to drive back from upstate Mon and I got sucked into the interview. I have mostly just felt extraordinary sadness regarding this family and their tragedy so I'm not really coming at it with the same level of anger that I sense a lot of folks here have (though I certainly can understand it.) But my sympathies never did lie with Rusty. So I was surprised during the interview to feel a huge amount of...
Your friend sounds like the kind we all hope for and long to have. I also have a hand-me-down boxer upper friend, who is in so many ways a mentor to me. I know even though I see her rarely she is a kindred spirit in this mothering business. I bet each of your boxes is a wonderful gift for her. I like hand-me downs best, I think they have some love left inside them (as well as milky stains!) Let us know when this beautiful babe touchs down!