or Connect

Posts by pina la nina

Oh how beautiful! She is now in my thoughts too. What a blessing to have you in her life and your family sending love across the country for her and her baby's journey.
I basically thought the way you guys did until I had my dd. Afterwards I had a long talk with one of my best friends (female) who is in med school (no kids). She was comparing her experiences helping women in labor to my experience being in labor. And man, she came away just stunned. She said she wished she could go back and re-help all those women because she regretted some of the things she'd said, or done, or assumed. You might say this is because she was trained...
I guess I'm also not sure where we're going with continuing to rehash this. but I wanted to thank kama'aina mama and pallas - you guys are too funny! I was spouting there - and I was so afraid I was going to get totally flamed for that. booby - I hear your anger as well as that of peatree (who started the thread) and of peggy for example (and I saw that you said you do support your taxes going to welfare!) I'm sure that you all do encounter these non-supportive...
Van the Man - he makes me melt
yipes Bx4 - was it consensual? I hope so honey - hugs to you!
All the talk about what a horrible job the feminist movement of the 60's did got me thinking. Can you imagine what it was like to be them (maybe some of you were!) Have you ever been to a country where women don't have the rights we do here? Have you ever been discriminated at work or in your education? (I have, blatantly, and it sucks.) My mom was second in her class at a large city high school and the guidance counselor told her not to bother applying to...
I keep feeling totally bewildered at all these posts - I must be missing out on some huge font of mean tough feminists who are all anti-mom fanatics. This just blows me away. The people I know who I would call the most feminist, for example - go to rallies, work for equality for women & girls - out lesbians, etc - are all incredibly supportive of mom-ness in all its forms. For the record, this is one raging feminist who loves her job as a WOHM and is very supportive...
Its a major downer but so good and well written - Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean. I never saw the movie, but from what my dh says the book is very different. I think its completely worth the agony - and honestly I can't put it down. (i'm in the middle right now.) Lighter ones I've read lately some good biographies - Stuffed, forget the author, talks about her childhood as part of a restaurant family, lotsof good Jewish food! Also Ruth Reichl's biographies,...
Movie - Like Water for Chocolate (when they finally get together!) I'm still thinking on the rest!
Utne reader this month gives a list of the best movie sex scenes ever - but they don't mean literally sex. For example one of the scenes on the list is from Room With a View where all the guys go swimming and end up running butt naked through the woods. Another is where Susan Sarandon and Catherine Denueve go to it in The Hunger (thats really sex, in my book) but the idea is - what's your favorite romantic or sexy or sex scene in a movie? I thought I'd make it a...