or Connect

Posts by Sorin

My DD will be one on Saturday (!) but she has slept through the night since . . . 8-9 months?  In her case, STTN means from about 7pm until about 7am.  From about 6-8 months, she was waking once a night, and from about 4-6 months, she was waking twice.  Prior to that, it was too many times to count!    She sleeps in our room but not in our bed, hated to be worn, is a halfway decent napper (at least one good nap a day of about 2 hours), and was breastfed until about...
I'm going to advise something a bit different.  All the warm and fuzzies are great, but it is OK if you hate infancy.  My advice to any new mom is do not worry if you spend the early days in misery.  Hang in there!  IT DOES GET BETTER!  Give it three months.  Seriously.  Nature knows what it is doing.  Just when you are contemplating handing the baby off to the nearest loving relative and running away to join the circus, your baby will wake up, look you dead in the eyes,...
Same here, except that we haven't given her any peanut products.  Everything else is fair game.  She's 11 months now, and when we started introducting foods, our ped said that since we don't have a history of allergies in the family, feed her what we are eating (minus honey and peanuts).  She loves to eat and will try everything.  Getting her to take the second bite, however, is sometimes a problem!   
I second your mother's recommendation that you stick with the paci. My DH was a thumb sucker, and he admits that it was an incredibly hard habit to break.  He also got sick a lot as a kid, which he relates to always puting his thumb in his mouth.  MIL wishes that she had started DH on a paci because the thumb sucking was such a serious problem.  Most babies have a need to suck, so we started DD on a paci.  Whenever she put her fingers in her mouth, we would give her the...
Hey, shiny new thread!   I wasn't too active in the old thread, but I thought I'd pop over here to pat myself on the back.   I got tenure! YAY!    I just started back in Jan. after being off a semester on maternity leave.  This was a great way to start the new semester!   Oddly enough, I now find myself saying "Now what?"  I'm at a CC, so the signposts are not very clear.  There is no "now work on book #2" or "now present at two major conferences a...
DD is 9 months and still not crawling.  She has always hated tummy time no matter what I did to try to make it fun, and she is just now beginning to tolerate it (barely).  She can roll over and used to do it all the time, but now she refuses to do it at all!  She can sit all day long and does a great job reaching for things and pulling herself back up to sitting.  There is nothing physically wrong with her, and my ped is not worried.  Crawling is no longer a milestone,...
DD has zero teeth.  None.  Zip.  She'll be 8 months in about a week.  It doesn't even look like any are coming anytime soon, although she is drooling a lot and loves to bite down on things.   My cousin's daughter didn't get her first tooth until she was over a year old, and at about a year and a half  now, she still doesn't have very many.   The range of normal is quite wide!
Not to belabor the rice cereal conversation, but I buy organic brown rice cereal.  The only ingredient is "organic whole grain brown rice flour," and DD loves it!  I give it to her in the morning mixed with fruit (applesauce, pear puree, blueberries, anything!)  DD is almost 8 months and gobbles it up.  Don't dismiss rice cereal completely because they are not all the same.  Just like there is "white" pasta and wheat pasta and white potatoes and sweet potatoes and white...
I would say to follow your baby's lead.  We began solids at four months, which I know is earlier than most here.  The AAP says that solids can be introduced any time between four and six months.  At four months, my DD was consuming huge amounts of breastmilk and still crying constantly from hunger.  The introduction of solids did *not* replace breastmilk in any way.  She still nursed as much as before, and solids were just an addition.  It does not have to be all or...
I agree.  I have read (from other reputable sources) a different list of signs of readiness that makes sense to me, including the ability to sit well while supported, good head and neck control (with the ability to turn the head to indicate fullness), and not getting full/satisfied on breastmilk/formula alone.  At four months, my DD was showing all those signs, particularly the last one.  Breastmilk alone just was not cutting it.  She was constantly crying because she...