or Connect

Posts by DancerMom

Laura, Thanks for your reply. I just e-mailed the woman, so we'll see. I think what you said about planting a seed is right on. I was talking about this with my mother and she said the same thing. I just finished reading that Salon article and all the responses (I responded too, under a different name) and was feeling a little despondent about reaching people, but then I have to remind myself that I didn't come to UC in some blinding flash of light, it was a...
Laura, what's it like being interviewed for this type of article? How often do they get things wrong? What things are they likely to ask? And do you feel like articles in major papers really do any good for the movement? I would consider doing this but definitely have reservations.
I haven't posted much this pregnancy (last time there wasn't even a UC board yet!) but have been lurking quite a bit in my last trimester. This was my third baby, third homebirth, second UC. I had a quick two hour labor and everything went very well. I just wanted to post my birth story and say thank you to MDC for having a place for UCers to connect. Here's the link to my story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=632697
On Friday, May 2, the cold I had been successfully fighting off came over me full force, and I felt terrible. I had congestion, a cough, and a fever. I called DH to ask him to come home early from work, which I’d never done before, so I could nap before my mother’s birthday party that evening. After the nap I felt a bit better, so we went to the party, but once we were there I just felt worse and worse. I felt so dejected because I knew I wouldn’t go into labor feeling...
I'm 45 minutes from the nearest hospital, maybe 30 if there were no traffic, we made every green light, and sped. We live rurally, and my biggest issue with being far from a hospital is dealing with other people's fear, not mine. It was so easy the last two times to toss off, "Oh, we're only five minutes from the hospital" when people got freaked out. Luckily, people tend to question us less with each birth. I don't know if there would be any distance that...
I was witness to my friend's UC last September, and the baby was transverse. She turned about 15 minutes before she was born. One thing that may have helped her was when my friend got into a modified child's pose (hips above head) to give the baby room to move around into the best position for her to be born. There's so much downward pressure from the uterus during labor, and we think this position may have gotten the baby out of her pelvis long enough to turn. ...
I was present at the UC of my best friend's baby and she was transverse until about 20 minutes before she was born. I believe my friend would second what someone said above: It wasn't a matter of if the baby would turn, but rather when she would turn! I am also a UCer and I would not hesitate to birth a baby who was lying transverse. So much of the UC experience for me is about manifesting my perfect birth, and so it would not occur to me that my baby might not turn.
Hi, I have never posted here before, and I'm not even sure I'd identify as CLW, although I certainly support those who do. I have two daughters, 3 years old and 9 1/2 months old, and am tandem nursing. My older daughter is nightweaned, and currently we nurse two to three times per day: when we wake up, when she wakes up from nap (if she takes one) and before bed (but not to sleep). I am not willing to nurse my three-year-old on demand, because I think she would...
Check out this awesome shirt!!! Breastfeeding is not a crime. I was surfing around looking at breastfeeding t-shirts after all that Barbara Walters hoopla and I found it on this site. Has anyone seen this yet? (I especially love that it's a girlie shirt.) Oh, and I just saw it's got a Lactivist one too.
Both my placentas came out within a half hour or so, but with my UC the membranes stayed attached and the placenta hung between my legs for over 24 hours. I had to call Pamamidwife for advice because although I knew everything was fine, I felt I was missing some piece of information that would easily help me get it out. I wound up twirling the placenta so the membranes sort of "roped up" and then reaching up inside and wiggling it back and forth until it detached. It...