or Connect

Posts by One Art

Love this thread. I like doing things with my kids, but not playing. I don't like playing pretend or playing on the ground with them... sometimes board games are ok, but often I get antsy and want to get up and do something. I like camping and hiking and ice skating with them, but can't stand the pool (germ phobias). And I love reading to them, but really don't like watching movies with them (this may get better as they get older though?). And while I love the idea of...
Thanks, Momsteader! I've actually never been to Montana at all so I'm nervous and excited to be way up north! I'm coming from the Southern end of the Rockies though so aside from more snow maybe the climate is somewhat similar? What should I know about Montana?! 
So great and encouraging to see some other single mom students here! I'll be pursuing my graduate degree in environmental studies in the fall. I don't know what classes I'll be taking yet, but I will be doing a teaching assistantship that will cover my tuition, and may have up to 24 students in the freshmen level English class I'll be teaching, as well as a full semester of classes and single parenting. Eep! I'm excited and nervous. But my daughters will be in 1st and...
Hi all,    I'm relocating to Missoula in August to go to grad school and I'm the single mom to two daughters, ages 6 and 9. Any mothering mamas in the area? I don't know anyone in Missoula so I'm hoping to meet some people and find out more about my new town! 
Thank you all... Yes, Neera, I am trying to navigate this carefully because I don't want her to feel ashamed or like it's something she can't talk to me about. My instinct so far has been that it falls within normal childhood exploration, but I do want to try to make sure she knows what is ok and what she needs to set boundaries on when it comes to her body and others' bodies.   As for why it has gone unnoticed in the daycare... I can only attribute this to the fact...
I'm not even sure this is a question... I just want to see if other moms have had this experience to evaluate where my response fits in. I would love to hear from others who have been through similar situations!   DD2, who is 5, just told me that she likes to pull pants down - her stepmom's mostly, but she tried it on me last night and has apparently tried it on her dad before. When I asked her why she said she likes to feel between the butt cheeks. I asked her if...
I hear you on the pride issue - it is still something I struggle with in certain situations. However, I am now two years out of my abusive marriage, and I cannot emphasize enough how dramatically it's changed my life to learn how to ask for help. I could never, ever ask for help when I was married. Now, I ask for help frequently. Not every day, or even every week, but when things come up that I can't figure out on my own. And guess what? I have the biggest circle of...
Congratulations! I am so happy to see this update. And wow, yes the road does shift in ways we can't imagine! And I think being a single mom is a huge part of why we are often able to meet challenges and the unexpected and find a way through, sometimes succeeding, and sometimes not, but never avoiding the journey in front of us. And in the end, the journey results in stronger and healthier women. I would not relive my journey, but I am grateful for what I've taken from it....
Hi! I am newly out and a single mom to two little girls. I started coming out in october, but it took me about a year of intense internal struggle to recognize myself and then to accept it. I was married before, to a man. I struggled with labels for a long time, rejecting them and wanting them, and in the end "lesbian" fit better for me than anything else. And I hear you on the attraction! Feel free to pm me. I can't help you find answers, but I can share my experiences...
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice! I would consider moving, but I would have to give up custody if I did, so that's out. I will try to ask around and see if anyone knows anything... there aren't any meetup groups, and I did send a request to join a yahoo group, but haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that it's not used much. A lot of the information seems to be inside information. I will definitely consider starting a listserv in the near future! If anyone has tips...