or Connect

Posts by lauriem33

Already like Mothering on FB, liked OM too!
Took the eval
The author Kate Fridkis also has a really great blog called Skipping School. I highly recommend it!
I've been on MDC for quite some time too, mostly to read. What I look for specifically has evolved along with my life. Lately I come to check the Unschooling board first, then homeschooling, then others if I have time or a specific thing I'm looking for.
I agree with this. I can see daily that just by living, she is learning. The problem is her own perception of it because it does not look like compartmentalized 50 minute segments broken down into "subjects" of history, math, science, etc... I know that now at 13 she spent more than half her life in public school (age 5-11) and that is going to have an extremely strong effect on her ideas about life and learning. But for how long? Forever? I do think the freedom is still...
I am the OP and wow, there's a lot to address here, I don't have enough time right now to speak to everything. All the replies have certainly given me much to think about. First I will say that when I dismissed the school-at-home & public school parents, it was specifically the ones I know IRL. I agree many people are willing to be open and put themselves in another person's shoes, but we live in a very small town and the few homeschoolers here, while very nice and...
DD-13 was in public school for 6 years plus a year of preschool before we took her out to homeschool. De-schooling totally made sense to me and over time she seemed to be recovering her "self". Unschooling as a philosophy really resonates with me, I'm just wondering if there's such a thing as a kid being "ruined" for unschooling by being in school too long?   It's been a year and a half she's been out and she lately has begun mostly hiding out in her room listening...
I'm sure you probably know this, but you can check out sample pages from all the books at http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/31samplepages.html   We are using them also and like the pp said, my dd does not like anything textbook-ish, so they're perfect for us. If you'd rather read and learn something on your own than be "taught" these are great. And they really are not expensive considering they are not consumable and are very easily resold on all the homeschool...
I had a very similar situation with a bf I was with for part of high school and on into college. He was often threatening suicide for both reasons, in an abusive/manipulative way but also because he really was suicidal at times. I can't tell you what it was like to go through that emotional drama on a regular basis. It's like it was someone else's life looking back on it now. So (((hugs))) to your dd for having to deal with it. In my case, we were together for two years,...
I guess my dilemma is I don't want to censor (well part of me does because I can't stand the objectifying women type stuff), but when it comes to the 13yo dd listening to cd's that have an advisory sticker, and I also have a 9 year old who is easily offended, I'm not sure how to handle it. To have her tell her sister to stay out of her room because she's listening to music with swearing/sex/drug references seems like a recipe for disaster .