or Connect

Posts by fritz

I'll tell you what we're doing with our son.  DS is 8, and will be starting 3rd grade this fall.  For the first time in his life, he'll be enrolled in public school.  I'm expecting it to be a huge transition, so our deal is that he has to try it for 2 weeks (to give him a chance to get used to the new routine and following all the new rules).  If he completely hates it, I'll pull him out and we'll happily continue to homeschool.  However, if he likes it/loves it, he can...
For non-breakable, how about felt ornaments?  Buy sheets of felt at any local craft store, then either trace or free-hand cut out various shapes (stars, trees, circles, bells, angels, etc).  Leave them plain, or use fabric paint or glue/glitter to outline/embellish. When I was growing up we had some of these, and they were our favorite ornaments to put on the tree--we just threw them at the tree and they'd stick where they landed.  Or, you could add thread/yarn/string to...
My DS is 7yo and also suffers from carsickness, although he's getting a bit better.  There are so many different triggers for my DS:  stomach too full, stomach too empty, driving through lots of light/shadow--winter bare trees with the sun shining through them--acts like a strobe light, if it's too warm, if there are too many curves in the road, if we hit too many stoplights or make too many turns, etc.   What has helped my son:  driving with the windows down, even...
Admitting my biases:  I love Start Trek, and I allow almost unlimited media for my DS.  My dad was a Trekkie, so I grew up watching TOS; when I was a teen, me and my parents were glued to the screen watching TNG; before I went to college my dad and I watched DS9 together; while I was home on break we watched Voyager.  I've seen all the movies (and we own most of them on DVD now).   My DS is 7 yo; he's been watching Star Trek movies for years (starting off with Wrath...
Another MD resident here, chiming in with the voice of experience.  My DS is 7yo and 2nd grade equivalent.  We've been homeschooling in Anne Arundel county since kindergarten (which was very relaxed--we just lived our lives every day and I took a bunch of pictures of DS doing his thing) , so we've got 4 portfolio reviews under our belts.  (Our school district sends out a list of times/places, usually public libraries, for you to select for your review, which they usually...
At this point in time, I would stop asking your mom to help out.  Wait a few years, until your DD is older/more self-sufficient, then try again.  That isn't to say you should cut off all contact, but if your mom won't even acknowledge your DD's presence when you go over to visit her, then I definitely wouldn't want to risk my child's emotional/physical well-being by letting your mom babysit her.  Especially knowing that she has mental health issues and is not taking her...
How's your dad as a babysitter?  If things go more smoothly with him, would it be possible to have him be the babysitter and just leave your mom out of it (would she be relieved to not have to bother, or would she get upset at being excluded)?  Is your mother's way of babysitting your DD similar to what you remember from your own childhood?  Or do you think maybe she could be having medical/mental issues as she ages that are manifesting themselves (you mentioned she's...
I agree with everyone else who advises to stop putting the offending foods on her plate.  It's enough that she's exposed to the sight/smell of them at the table.  She sees the rest of the family eating them.  She's clearly not yet able to tolerate them on the same plate as her other foods--so from her perspective it's rather disrespectful of you to put such yucky stuff on her plate; she's just responding in kind.     When dining with others, is it possible to ask...
DS (6yo) and I are homebodies (and DS gets horribly carsick, so we limit our driving excursions to museums and woods, etc.).  I try to get us out of the house on a neighborhood walk every day.  We have several different routes to choose from, but basically we've done the same walk hundreds of times.  DS still manages to entertain himself by picking up a fallen twig and pretending it's an xyz, or breaking it against a big tree.  The changing of the seasons always makes...
I can relate.  My 6yo DS also has sensory integration issues, and getting him to eat fruits and vegetables or any kind of sauce, or ... hasn't gone as expected yet.  I agree with PP that it doesn't sound like your child is trying to make your lives miserable, but is truly incapable of eating/tolerating the same foods as the rest of your family. (BTW, my son also strongly dislikes the smell of fresh oranges, but he loves to drink orange juice w/o pulp.)   I'm in the...