or Connect

Posts by cumulus

"Why We Fight; A Mother's Guide to Civil Disobedience" is posted on their website: http://www.worldcantwait.net/index.p...949&Itemid=223 An excerpt: "It was the scariest thing I had ever undertaken in my life, including my 3 marriages. Being married to a retired police lieutenant, and having 2 sons who are NYPD officers, I asked myself what in the world was I doing. But seeing the smirk on the face of George Bush when he visited the site of Ground Zero and using it...
We decided that it was not quite right to compare home to school. For a while it seemed that education was the big objective and our discussion centered on which provided the best education and which fit our lifestyle and which did this and which did that as though their education was the only thing worth considering, as if the years at home or at school were somehow meaningless in light of the final objective of education. Our children would be experiencing all that life...
For me the family bed has been a sort of nightly statement on world peace wherein living things of different ages and species all get along just fine together.
"America is the least family- and child-oriented country in the world." ~ TJ Brazelton
Some individual schools have their own web sites. Here's the mission statement from one: http://www.hawthornevalleyschool.org...l/mission.html I think you'll find that every school has a bunch of rules and a bunch of philosophy but once that door shuts with you as the only adult in a room full of children you have a whole lot of autonomy. I think one famous Waldorf educator said something about the teacher being everything. Check out the stages of childhood in...
Televisions were supposed to bring families together - everybody sitting together watching the same program. In most homes however, individual members of the family watch programming and commercials directed at them and not other age groups. I've visited homes where teens walk around with cells attached to their heads more or less completely separate from the living beings around them. Have you been to an airport and noticed that nobody talks to anyone; they're all on...
There are many reasons people have to explain why a baby cries during the night. I would like to mention one that is not necessarily true, that I do not really believe in, but one that is beautiful and one I think would have helped me be more patient and maybe even a little humble when my babies cried inconsolably. There are quite a few cultures who believe in re-incarnation. In one of those cultures, they beleive that babies cry because they miss the parents of...
No. I don't kill mice. They're cute, clean up bits of food and are good luck as well. My kids and I read a children's book about a farmer who kills anything that eats any little bit of his crop. The farmer pays for his unwillingness to share. I like it that my family lives in a little community and supports other families. I want to model a love of life, of other things alive of the preciousness of life, of tolerance of other, even the meek.
Meredith Small, who wrote Our Babies Ourselves, also wrote "Kids, How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Raise Young Children, another great book on the subject. You might also check out Kay S Hymowitz's Ready or Not. "Human beings fashion the childhood their culture needs." ~ Kay S Hymowitz, Ready or Not
I am an agnostic but wish we had modelled a spiritual practice for our children when they were smaller. Even if only to have drawn a pattern on the sidewalk every morning in chalk that would need to be redrawn every day - not as art but as an offering - a sign that I felt that humans were more than biology, especially these days when there are so many messages that we are mere flesh. I'm gradually moving away from wondering whether God actually exists or not in terms of my...