or Connect

Posts by cumulus

I do not think it's fair to let a child decide whether or not to eat meat in this society. They do not understand what meat is or how it got to the grocery store. Perhaps in movies you've seen adults tricked into eating meat which was of a different sort (like human flesh) than they thought. They're "tricked" because they don't understand what the meat really is. So it is most children do not understand the meaning of the meat. Also, if you look at a human being's...
There's nothing wrong with homosexuality but I thought the evidence showed homosexual behavior in animals but not homosexuality per se. That is, male dogs will mount other male dogs but when there's a female dog in heat around those same males will fight for that female. That's what I read somewhere a while ago.
Another option might be Touch Balancing/Animal Bowen™ (adopted from a therapy created for humans) that involves a specific pattern and timing of massage along muscle edges. http://www.bancroftsmt.com/continuin....cfm?id=8&p=62
The antioxidants and diet you're feeding the guy sounds great... with green vegetables. Fish oil and flax seed oil are both sources of essential fatty acids. Does he need both? How about some vitamin E and teaching the guy a new trick - even something as simple as recognizing the larger of two identical objects with food rewards (like a peice of carrot)? Elder people and dogs I believe respond to dietary changes and learning new things. Swimming or gentle exercise would...
I have contributed to several relief organizations and written to my representatives about it but that seems like nothing. Years ago I watched a 2 hour Frontline special on PBS on the genocide in Rwanda and decided I could not let something like that happen during my lifetime without doing something about it. Here it is happening again and I don't know what to do.
Neither cat is using any of the litter pans! Do you see them both peeing elsewhere? Are they peeing on vertical surfaces? Besides Feliway, try cleaning where they're peeing with an enzymatic cleaner and maybe placing a litter box where they're peeing and then moving it an inch a day to where you want it. Cats do best with litter boxes about one and a half times longer than they are - usually bigger than the sizes sold for cats. If they're covered uncover them. Old...
I think the rough guideline is to change 20-25% of the water every week depending on the number of fish and the amount of filtration used in the tank. The more fish and the smaller the tank I think the more often necessary. Take a quart out and put a new quart in a couple of times a week maybe.
In The Nuture Assumption, the author argues against Nurture and cites tons of research which points to influences besides parenting that appear to have major influences on children; like twins separated and raised in different countries seem very much the same when they grow up. One of the author's main arguments and the larger share of the research she cites, however, points to the influence of peers; like parents of other cultures raising children in this culture...
"Television has changed the American child from an irresistible force to an immovable object." ~ Laurence J. Peter
I believe in the book, Our Endangered Children, Vance Packard wrote that the term "quality time" arose at the time the demand for day-care rose dramatically. Speaking of terms about kids, I just read in Born to Buy by Juliet Schor that the word and childhood stage, "toddler," originated from a department store seeking to market clothing to that before unknown stage of childhood. As far as quantity versus quality, have you ever spent some time in the hospital? There...