or Connect

Posts by cumulus

I think art would be a good way. If he can be enrolled in projects that take a while to complete he will need to develop some patience to complete them. Drawings on larger pieces of paper, lots of smaller drawings as part of a larger mural or show, arrangements of blocks or toys, play-dough zoos, a father's day set of drawings, sculptures, cards or whatever, or other projects that take focus and a bit of time.
I resist using allowances. The emphasis on money is so great in our society that I think I should provide some balance in another direction. I instinctively feel that the give in take between members of the family should be one area wherein the children should not be assessing how much something's worth in cash. I also feel that parenting should be focused on the child's physical, moral, and spiritual development. The study of economics can be left to schools. I feel...
I agree. I hope to be there for most of the smiles and maybe the first smile as well, for most of that practice walking and maybe the first step as well if there is such a thing and hopefully to be there for most of her smiles as she watches her babies smile and learn to walk.
Cow's minds seem to lack notions of things like war, torture, global warming, smart weapons, pollution, corporal punishment and greed. How stupid. Whatever their percieved IQ, cows are gentle animals who have done little beyond contributing their muscle, hide and milk to mankind for hundreds of thousands of years. In some cultures this is met with some thanks and even honor. In this culture we search to extract more from them while giving them even less. How smart. ...
Hi: Perhaps you do need to see a professional although you might read one of the books on the subject. I heard an expert on the radio suggest no TV or PC in the evening or later. I learned that what you do in the evening, not what you do before bed, is what determines how you sleep. If you try and "slow down" before bed it's too late. One suggestion that seemed to help me, when I remember to do it, is to go to bed after reading something inspirational or to...
Due to the unorthodox way we're raising our children we both have gotten quite a few comments on what we've been doing. We decided early on, that the alternative, nobody saying anything about our children, would be far worse. It is annoying at times but isn't communication essential for community? And besides shouldn't we be open to the opinion of others. Shouldn't we be looking for other opinions so that we're as sure as we can be that we are doing what's best for our...
Almama: Great ideas. As World Parent is about uniting parents, if you'd like, there's tons of space available on our site (for free) for your idea, and some help too with your project. "Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make for our children." ~ Tatanka Iyotanka
"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy." ~ Forest Witcraft
I think socializing a child in school is liking teaching them to swim by throwing them in the river. You might ask what socialization ciriculum there is at the school and who it is that would see your child daily and monitor that socialization over the years. I don't think I'd use this argument but I think Americans, most of whom attend public schools, have pretty high rates of violence (domestic and otherwise), divorce and other indicators of poor socialization. ...
I think children learn to be adults and adults to be parents from the people around them that they admire and the stories they read. I would suggest novels rather than "How to" books. The Education of Little Tree is about a boyhood as told by a boy. And yes the author has detractors but be prepared to cry during the book. Charles Alexander Eastman on Raising Boys: "What boy would not be an Indian for a while when he thinks of the freest life in the world? We...