or Connect

Posts by cumulus

Hi: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths on tape narrated by Paul Newman and some other movie stars is pretty cool. It's from a children's book but we still listen to it on car trips. My daughter's in Waldorf high school now studying the middle ages. They are designing, and some actually making, their own shields and crests as if they were medieval knights. They also, and this does take a bunch of kids, re-enacted the Battle of Hastings. "The best way to keep...
Hi: For me the decision to homeschool was less about education and more about parenting and personal philosophy. Direct, personal involvement is important. Did I want to have to ask how school was on a given day or did I want to set how school was on a given day and know what school was like for the children on a given day? Would I have thousands of hours of shared times and experiences with my children or not? I wanted to demonstrate their importance and the...
Hi: To add to what Maramain said. In Waldorf education, "The teacher is everything.," to quote from a book by a Waldiorf teacher. The process involves the growth and strengthening of the "will." I put 'will' in quotes because the Waldorf meaning is slightly different, I think, from the usual but is generally the same; the feeling being that without the will to do something you will not accomplish it. If you go to school early you may see teachers have written...
Hi: We were eating together less and less without anyone seeming to notice until I read "Bowling Alone" by Robert Puttman about the loss of community in this country. He points out that that loss extends right into the family and one of he reasons he cites for that conclusion is the decline in familty dinners together. The number of familes who usually eat together has declined by a thrid in the last 20 years. I'm on a campaign to get us eating together again - we...
Hi: I saw a PBS "Frontline" show titled "The Merchants of Cool" about corporate influence, control actually, of teens. Teens have some billions of dollars of discretionary money - much more than previous generations. Big businesses want that money and pursue it with virgor. They, not me, refer to it as "guilt money." Money supplied to teens so as to not have to deal with them. Anyways the media is very, very sophisticated in marketing to teens - attempting to mold...