or Connect

Posts by cumulus

In Ann Hulbert's book, Raising America, on the history of parenting books and experts during the previous century, the advice given to parents changes with the times perhaps in keeping with the economic and cultural needs of society at the time. Throughout the century conflicting advice is given. The book also touches on the whole idea of a parenting expert to begin with - a profession that didn't exist till recently. One expert, Dr Benjamin Spock, wrote (other experts...
Cats usually have routes or paths they take through the house to get around. You might arrange to have scratching post(s) along that route and the fancy furniture distant from the route.
I'm increasingly adamant about controlling branded products. It seems to me attempting to alter the mind or personality of a innocent child for profit is something akin to molestation. "In the marketing world they're called tinys." At just six months of age, babies are already forming mental images of corporate logos. One in four children utters a brand name as their first recognizable word." http://www.med.sc.edu:1081/babysfirstword.htm There's some good books on...
Parenting itself might be spiritual so the ways and energy with which you parent your children will in part model what you hold as deep and fundamental. I think children look everywhere for spiritual meaning and see through to and absorb their parent's core beliefs no matter what's coming out of their mouths. So in my modelling, since everywhere around me is the opposite, I emphasized a disdain for things material except if the thing was art. My children did a lot of...
My liitle ones also were inept at times socially - just like adults. I wonder if leaving kids to be socialized by schools isn't a bit like teaching them to swim by throwing them into a river. I think a small family is ample enough for socialization and allows for the child's parents to be present and influential at least. "...Of course the family is a good institution because it is uncongenial. It is wholesome precisely because it contains so many divergencies and...
Hi: Did you see that New Yorker cartoon of the young teenager calling his parents with his cell throughout the day to check in and tell them where he was? It goes something like the first time he calls he's handing money to a prostitute and saying he's on his way to a friend's house. He later buys drugs while calling in and finally is seen boarding a plane while keeping in touch. I understand many cells can be programmed to have a special ring when certain people...
Hi: Haven't preschools only just recently become a common option? What need then is being met by their recent availability. What good does it do for the child might be a better question. I'm not comparing television with preschool but the arguments about television seem to be about the validity of proofs and opinions that it's bad for children. I've heard very few claims that it's actually good for them. Also, I think children are deep thinkers. Your...
Hi: Even though a lot of our income comes from computers we kept our children from them till they were teenagers. They were good with MACs and PCs in no time. We felt computers determine thinking to some degree as shown in studies on how Powerpoint molds the thought process rather than giving it freedom.
I rather wonder what things adults should be allowed to do without children at least nearby. Adults behave rather badly without children around; making decisions with scant empathy for the future and with less reflection on their own behavior. President Lincoln's children had free reign in the white house and would burst into cabinet and other meetings. This type of thing, it seems to me, should be required throughout Washington. Could global warming happen if children...
My website has a section on parenting quotations including a section just on quotations about mothering. You can also sign up for a daily quotation to be emailed to you (every other day actual). A few of my favorites: "Being a mother, as far as I can tell, is a constantly evolving process of adapting to the needs of your child while also changing and growing as a person in your own right." ~ Deborah Insel "Giving birth is not a matter of pushing, expelling the baby,...