or Connect

Posts by cumulus

Here's a favorite quote of mine on socialization: ...Of course the family is a good institution because it is uncongenial. It is wholesome precisely because it contains so many divergencies and varieties. It is...like a little kingdom, and, like most other little kingdoms, is generally in a state of something resembling anarchy. It is exactly because our brother George is not interested in our religious difficulties, but is interested in the Trocadero Restaurant, that...
I think the only thing wrong in those situations is that the "adults" instead of showing maturity and understanding for children revert to the seen and not heard stance.
I think it's part of being a dog to accept any species as members of their pack - no need to take the dog out of the dog, the dog just needs to know this cat is part of the family. Feed the cat on a mat or rug for a while and then feed the dog on that mat. Stage introductions if possible with a leash with the dog on down-stay. All kinds of rewards with good behavior. Is there a way the cat could come in the house and be way up off the floor? I'm worried the cat's going...
More ideas for a patient owner. He may dislike the litter you're using. They usually like clumping, unscented finely particulate litter. Cats are very fastidious - are you cleaning the litter every day and changing it weekly? You could try placing the litter trays over where they're doing there busoiness and then move it an inch a day till wgere you want it to be. You might also try confinement training them. Feed them and then keep them in a room with nothing...
I'm am not sure how I feel. I do not recall where I read it but one animal hospital looked over their records and found that more cats had been injured indoors than out. Obesity and other problems may also be associated with a confined life. Nobody, I think, would suggest human beings spend their whole lives indoors even though logically it seems it would be safer. Cats seem to me creatures intensely and sensually connected with their world. They're so coordinated, so...
Whoops Double-posted
I believe many of us decry the loss of community wherein adults might all contribute to the raising of all children. That said, I would attempt to enroll your roomies into forms of disciplining or whatever that you approve of. I'd be sure to go after the form of discipline not the person - those rommies could be powerful allies in raising your son. "As adults, we must ask more of our children than they know how to ask of themselves. What can we do to foster their...
You now that add slogan, "Better living through chemistry?" Marketing can create a need where there wasn't one before.
I believe separation anxiety almost doesn't exist except in Western societies. In most cultures children and at least one parent are hardly ever more than yards away from each other during the day and sleeping together at night. "In many ways we live in an antichild culture. I recognize it because when we travel to other countries, more child-friendly places, the difference is amazing. In countries where the birth rate is high, there are simply more children around....
I believe there's some research finding that honey on the wound is beneficial for healing after a burn.