or Connect

Posts by cumulus

Marketing companies in this country are going after younger and younger children with the 2 billion plus dollars spent on marketing to children. Two year olds are even targeted and I think brand recognition has been achieved by quite a few companies in 2 year old kids. Companies now own teenage culture (watch "The Merchants of Cool" at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ows/cool/view/) and are moving on to younger and younger kids. What gets me is how accepting we...
I think our culture is so focused on possessing things that materialism is in the very air and something children pick up on quickly and early. One research group found that one in 4 children utters a brand name as their first recognizable word. Besides what you are doing, we tried to model a disdain for acquiring, a delight and comitment to living things great and small, a desire to repair old things and maintain them (we still use a broken plate that's been glued...
I'd suggest you re-introduce the new cat by giving it its own room with a litterbox in it that the other cats do not have access to. Keep the door closed for a while, then slightly ajar for a while so the cats can sniff each other without touching. The slower the introduction the better. Feed the cats on a towel or rug or something and then switch the rugs back and forth every few days or so so that the cats smell the other cat(s) while they eat. Clean that urine spot...
"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." ~ Carlotta Monterey O'Neill
It seems to me there is hardly a more important or patriotic act than to be a parent. Today's parents are raising the American people of the future; today's children will be America. Therefore, there can not be too great an investment in them or too great an advantage for their parents. To do less is to isolate ourselves in a solitary present and to neglect the Americans of the future. I think parents should get all kinds of breaks in all spheres of life. "Perhaps the...
If there's a week or more before the move start feeding the cat on a towel or area rug so that the cat's smell becomes part of the rug. Begin moving your stuff but move the cat's favorite furniture and stuff last and move the cat last. At the new place have her favorites and the rug setup and waiting for her arrival. She might even travel with the rug in her crate. At the new house have a cardboard box, new crate with toys or favorite blanket in it or whatever hiding...
Cats, being very fastidious, commonly start going in the wrong places when something changes: Medical problem (see vet) Other cat(s) assert litter box is their territory Litter unclean by their standards Bad experience associated with litterbox or room Doesn't like litter or depth of litter Doesn't like litterbox There's plenty of things to try
I think the best question to put to a prospective teacher is "Can I take you out to lunch?" At lunch you can learn about the person, about a person who will model a vision of what life is all about for your child. Don't children learn the big things from the models in their lives. School rules and policies are little things compared to the attitudes and philosophy of the teacher (especially Waldorf teachers who accompany the child over a span of years and who are...
The PBS news program "Frontline" did a one hour show on Walmart. The transscript and possibly the video would be avaialble at www.pbs.org
I love pengiuns as well and feel they're monogomous. The life of each species of bird seems to me something of a parable. With that in mind I wrote a little blurb for my website honoring the Emperor: Parenting Styles: Emperor or Cuckoo? The Emperor penguin and the European cuckoo are birds with very different methods of raising their young. The male Emperor of the arctic regions of our planet, after the egg is laid by the female, remains with the egg while the...