or Connect

Posts by TypingMarie

Pablo Neruda is a breathtaking 20th century poet. There's an excellent and concise collection of his work called The Essential Neruda.   If you're interested in something very contemporary, I recommend Quiver by Susan Somers-Willett, from 2009. It's a collection of her poetry about science, with a focus on physics and the personal lives of famous scientists. Her poems about Einstein and Marie Curie are so tender and personal, they're amazing.
At that age I loved John Bellairs books. They're creepy and mysterious but not too intense. "The House with a Clock in Its Walls" is a good place to start.
Thanks mamas, these books are exactly what I was looking for!
My four-year-old son is asking for us to read him "longer" books. We usually read a lot of Curious George, Dr. Seuss, Mo Willems, etc, but recently he went completely wild for the original Alice in Wonderland. He loved the mixture of prose and pictures in that book, and he was really into hearing an ongoing story over several nights. I'm kind of at a loss for other books that might have a similar mix between pictures and text, and that would hold a 4 year old's bedtime...
Quote: Originally Posted by Arduinna Also anyone else wish that Amazon had special wishlists for kindle books? Definitely! I'm reading Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin. I just finished My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates, which had a ton of footnotes, so I was using my clickwheel like crazy
Library-bound books are studier hardbacks: the pages are sewn in place rather than glued, and the cover is usually made of a reinforced buckram, rather than soft cloth. This helps the books stand up to lots of use.
Quote: Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa "The Time Traveler's Wife" I'm looking forward to this one too. I love the book, and I think it could translate well into a movie. I like the director, so I'm hopeful
Quote: Originally Posted by kaleidoscopeeyes The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz : I finished reading that one on New Year's Day 2008, so it kinda counts as a 2008 read My other favorite reads this year were "Lost on Planet China..." by J. Maarten Troost, and "The Descendants" by Kaui Hart Hemmings.
The animal care agency will eventually flag her as a nuisance caller and stop coming out when she calls. I'd say just continue to keep your dog safe and wait it out, these types of problems tend to correct themselves.
Subbing! I'm about to go back to being a full time SAHM (after a few years of hybrid WAH/WOH) and I'm planning to improve my traditional homemaking skills while I have the chance to stay home. This thread is inspiring and so informative, thanks mamas! :