or Connect

Posts by michellyn

Quote: Originally Posted by Gena 22 You could share this link with your friend, arguing that unless there's a medical contra-indication, doctors should let twins come spontaneously up to 40 weeks: http://www.uptodate.com/home/content...=labordel/5122 Thanks--I'll wait a little while and see if I have a good chance to share that. Thanks, everyone else for your suggestions as well. I'm sorry I was a little combative at first. I haven't been...
Quote: Originally Posted by Spring Lily If you really want to support her, telling her about fatal diseases is probably going to be off-putting or even make her mad that you're overstepping. I'd suggest giving her a link to the Kellymom site, like this article on breastfeeding preemies, and see how she reacts to more positive support from you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/preemie-links.html Also, you can't assume that she's telling you all the...
Quote: Originally Posted by OGirlieMama You may have some good points, but you lost me at calling your almost-7-pound twins "tiny" and implying that their size at 38.5 weeks was the sole reason for nursing difficulties. I really didn't have nursing difficulties with my twins (some supply issues, but not that early on), but I'd heard that tiny babies are often very sleepy and hard to keep awake for nursing (and my twins were the only babies I'd...
I'm not suggesting she will be able to avoid all problems. How early were your twins born? I've heard lots of twin stories where breastfeeding became impossible (or nearly impossible) because of how early the babies were born, so I think her chances of being really frustrated go up dramatically with a 36 week delivery. If that is medically necessary or indicated, you just take those chances, but the idea of taking those chances with a normal twin pregnancy boggles my...
I don't have a problem with her making different decisions than I would. I just wish I could help her understand that she has decisons (rather than have her blindly trust her doctor). You think her chances of having problems breastfeeding twins are the same statistically regardless of when they arrive? It's my understanding that the sucking instinct is developed later in pregnancy. I hated that my doctor didn't inform me of half of the risks he chose to take on things...
I doubt that is the case. She said that her pregnancy is completely normal. I know. I don't want to pressure her, but I also wish I could find a way to plant some questions to get her researching for herself. I don't want her to end up having unnecessary difficulty breastfeeding and end up regretting decisions later as she learns more.
I tried waking both babies to nurse at once, but it didn't work for me. Tandem nursing at night left me exhausted. When one woke, I pulled her next to me and nursed her lying down. When the next woke, I put the first twin (who had usually fallen asleep by then) where her sister had been and moved the second twin in to nurse. I moved them several times during the night, but that seemed to wake me less than nursing both at once--go figure! During the day, I tandem...
I don't remember my weights But my twin pregnancy wasn't bad at all. I had more morning sickness than I'd had with my singletons and more heartburn (better if I had fewer starchy foods and more protein). I was huge and uncomfortable at the end, but all went well. I made it to 39 weeks and had two healthy girls at home, 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 6 lbs. 12 oz.
I have an acquaintance who is expecting twins, and she keeps talking about "preemies" this and that. When I asked her if she had some particular risk factors, she said that her doctor said she won't let her go past 36 weeks. I certainly don't expect that mainstream friends will go the home birth route I did, and I know that some twins will come very early, but not letting them go beyond that? It's just crazy to me! I left a couple comments on her FB wall, but I doubt...
I had our twins at home. I'd had two hospital births with my sons; after the second, I was tired of fighting the doctor during birth. Due to ultrasounds (2 total during the pregnancy), we knew they were in separate sacs, which decreased some risks. They both settled into head down positions, and their birth was fast and easy. My midwife had a list of conditions (in twin situations) that would risk you out of homebirth. I was glad she had that; I didn't want a...