or Connect

Posts by haitimom

Does everybody buy their feed at the farm store? Nobody has any thoughts or ideas?
Dh milks our jersey twice a day. We get about a gallon to a gallon and a half each time. I definately agree with what has been said about jerseys. She is very curious and a bit testy. She came from a commercial dairy. I think she was milked three times a day. She starts to bawl at two, like she is ready to be milked. She doing very well considering all the new things she had to learn. She has very short teats and is hard to milk. We made our own pump and it worked for...
yes , Storey's has a compilation guide. It's called " Country Wisdom & Know-How everything you need to know to live off the land" It's a great book! Also "Barnyard in your Backyard" is great. We have really enjoyed these books. Reader's Digest use to have a really good one to. It was kind of like the repair it yourself books. I think it is out of print now. Maybe the library would have it. HTH
I used to make my own similar to the previous posters. Mine uced washing soda though instead of baking soda. At first I had citric acid and I used it. It worked great. I ran out of citric acid and just didn't buy anymore. It seemed to work fine. But later the dishes stopped getting clean and were almost greasy so I stopped using it. I wonder now if it was the lack of citric acid. I'm off to try it again with the citric acid.
Thanks Bensmommy, I was wondering about freezing it. That is good to know. I was looking at getting a butter mold. Has anybody used one of these? If so does it help get more of the water out of the butter after washing it?
I am looking into mixing my own animal feeds. All of our animals are on pasture but I need to give a little extra, and winter is coming. I want to give them organic whole grains. I can buy wheat, oats and barley from Azure Standard. It is listed as animal feed, since it hasn't been hulled. Will this be alright? I thought that oats weren't able to be digested unless they were hulled. Is this only true for humans? Cows do have four stomachs, but I just don't know. I also...
We are definately happy with it, especially since our girl has small teats. Talk about major hand cramp! Then your forearms feel like they're on fire. Anyway dh uses the milker then works by hand as long as he can. She's giving about 1 gal. to 1 1/2 gal. per milking. I think we could get more, but she won't stand still that long: Anyway good luck with your girl. We love ours
Hello, When I was a girl my brothers went through a gallon of milk for breakfast. So my parents bought a jersey milk cow. I would swear it tasted just like a cow smelled. Since becoming an adult and knowing the benefits of raw milk, I wanted my gang to drink it. It is legal here so I bought some at the HFS. Only a slight smell. But I couldn't afford $3.99 a half gallon. When we moved dh bought us a cow. I smell nothing!!! It is just sweet. I was so happy. I was...
You can make a hand milker. All it is is a 35cc syringe, tubing and the pump nozzle for a spray bottle. All for under $10. It works great!!! We use it for ours. It helps it go faster. We have to build up the strength to completely hand milk her. Dh actually made a double one by adding a "T" barbed splice. Since it goes faster he can hand milk for a while. We get way more cream when he does that. We get over a qt. but if he hand milks also it's over a half gallon. We hope...
I have read that it is best to make cheese with milk straight from the cow, before it has been chilled. I'm going to try this with the yogurt tonight. I did strain off the whey from two qts. to make a thicker yogurt. I gave the whey to the broiler chicks. I'm going to try to make a yogurt cheese with the three other qts. It gives alot of whey! I've already given some from the cheese yogurt to the pigs. I have a almost a whole gallon of cream to make into butter. I'm...