or Connect

Posts by coracle

My boys are 4 & 8 and we have lots of poop & fart talk too. I watch for it to creep into areas we don't allow, like name-calling, threatening, or shaming (making fun of or criticizing what can't be helped). When that happens I disallow it based on the respect issues, not the poopy content. Other than that I respond on a time-and-place basis, like reminding them "Grandma doesn't like poopy talk," or "please don't talk that way in the store, other people don't like to...
I would suggest thinking of your dd's reading "level" not as a level but as a range. The fact that she gets such a "high" number (whatever 23 means on whatever scale they are using) means that she has a very wide range (compared to age mates) of books she can enjoy and benefit from. It doesn't mean she should be reading at the top of her comprehension all the time. Books she chooses for fun may be (probably "should" be, if you believe there is a should about reading at...
I don't know if this might help defuse the grandma-is-bad idea: we sometimes talk to our kids about how life was 100 or several hundred years ago. It's not a lecture thing so much as tossing out interesting facts at supper or during daily life - "Did you know that people used to not have toilets in their houses?" So in our family knowing that kids used to routinely get smacked or whipped goes along with knowing that everyone used to go outside to the privy, that only...
I've played "don't tell my secret name" and "just don't call me peanut butter girl" with both boys in stores at about this age and it goes great. Dramatic "Ahhh! Nooo! Not that!" makes them laugh. As the laughter slows down from one name, "just whatEVER you do don't call me ..." a new silly name. They sometimes do it wth each other too. Not sure what to do about the old ladies - perhaps teach her a phrase she can deliver with dramatic flair, like "Good day,...
-- Subbing b/c we have similar issues with our 8yo ds1.... I feel for you, mama. --
FOr ideas to get back in synch when we're having lots of disagreements, i really like the book Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen. He gives examples of ways to turn power struggles into games, and just ways to play that help reconnect. As to doing what I ask, I do find myself both expecting and requiring compliance more often now than I did in the toddler years. (May be that's just because I've been away from the MDC boards for a few years...) I don't mean when I...
A couple of protein-hiding foods mine love are bread pudding (I use a Weight Watchers recipe that's really healthy, with whole wheat bread) and pumpkin custard (again, a healthy version - it's pumpkin pie without the crust). These are full of eggs (whites only in our case) and milk (pick your fat content) and complex carbs (which can also help stave off blood sugar crashes). French toast or French toast sticks, waffles, and pancakes can also contain a good bit of protein...
I'm right there with ya, Shell. Both my kids have been thrown for a loop the first few times strange grown-ups have asked for their cookie/ice cream/lollipop/whatever. I have a similar peeve about people who think a good way to start a conversation with a kid they don't know is to tickle him. Particularly if he has a grumpy look on his face. "What's that look for? Here, I'll make you smile!" Once during pick-up time a teacher at ds1's school reached in *through my...
My tendency at this stage was to gently physically contain the grabber (arms around, bending over them or kneeling by them) while talking calmly about taking turns, or how the grabbee feels, or finding another toy like it. This was my compromise between not wanting to grab back and not wanting him to get away with the toy - he couldn't really play with it while I was holding him and directing his attention to the grabbee. It seemed to me somewhat coercive, but not...
> are your children free to buy whatever they want with their own money ? Toy guns, no (we have a rule about them). For other toy weapons I make clear what my limits are on how they use them. Electric blue sport drinks? Yet another hot wheels car? Crappy plastic stuff? Yeah. Having their own money doesn't give them an out from our family values, but it does give them access to a wide range of things I consider worthless (or overpriced) but harmless, where they...