or Connect

Posts by cdmaze

I would say this is as close to a theory as I can get when I right. I know whats going to happen- I know everything about that part- its the parts leading up to it that are still foggy. I'm not exactly a success story since I've never had anything published or even really solidly finished one of my novels (they're all in various stages in completion). I like it, though- for me, I live for the great moments in my stories- alot of which come at the climax or the end....
I've had to get inside one of my characters head and it changed the whole order of my story. It's amazing what happens when the character start shaping the story- I've heard of it happening, but I never thought my story could do it. I think I finally have a story where the characters are developed enough to be a driving force. I hope I have the skill to show this!!!! Is there a way or a thread where we can post chapters or sections of our writing for scrutiny? I...
This is GREAT!!
My stories are mostly made of moments that I love, strung together by the actual story. I think I write backwards. (I just came to this realization as I have been writing today.) I have so far to go. I know some of you have attended classes, retreats, etc. What do you recommend I do to polish up my skills? Take a course? I really am so new at all this- I need feedback, and instruction.
Just an update: We've had her in diapers all week. She hates the cloth, but seems to except what we're doing. She's taking the diaper off to poop, but wetting the diapers pretty consistantly. I've decided I have to let it go. And it's funny...we've had the first "good" week with her in a couple months. For some reason the diaper thing must solve some sort of stress in all of us- either for her trying to make it to the potty, or just in our frustration over her peeing...
I have a few songs that are just perfect- they shaped the feelings in my story. Both are Iron and Wine. I feel like it's so much easier to get into the mindset of my story if I pop on some music. I wrote another story last year that was sort of based on a "what if" in my own life- what if one of my relationships didn't end- and we found each other again. (totally fictionalized- its really "what if" that one guy wasn't a total jerk and didn't use me and dump me, that sort...
I totally have a soundtrack for my book- it's a playlist on my iPod titled "Blood Freckles" (my working title.) I change it here and there, but I'm honing it down to perfect. I find music so inspiring! Ok, heres a question- anyone "cast" their main characters? Do you have people in your mind that you think of when you write? Or are they totally original. For me, my main character is original. I can't find anyone who is really "her". But my love interest, as a far as...
I think I'm going to cheese out and make my current novel into a screenplay. I'm hoping maybe it will clarify the story for me- or maybe even I'll like it even more as a movie!
(this is such a great thread, btw) I love Amy Tans books, and her description was so much a part of why she's successful. But, I can't seem to get even close to that sort of writing. As I write and re-wrtie my story, though, I'm getting closer to the details that might make a scene more powerful. I'm trying to describe those things better. That being said, my descriptions are pretty weak, I'm sure. My biggest weakness? POINT OF VIEW. I just can't get a handle on it. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aufilia OH AND SPEAKING OF SHORT STORIES! I didn't share last week because I was so busy worrying about the pregnancy/retreat thing going well... I sold a short story last week! I signed a contract and everything! The magazine I sold it to isn't a big pro place but they pay pro rates (that's 5-cent per word for SF/F). It won't actually appear "in publication" until like October, though. This is AWESOME! That...