or Connect

Posts by Marlena

We've always been open and upfront about the issue of where meat comes from. Dd loves animals as pets, and is very interested in them from a child-scientific-investigative perspective, but she'll also occasionally remark on how tasty a given animal looks (usually re fish). Yes, we're carnivores. Failing to be open about this issue is gravely dishonest, IMO. Some children don't want to eat meat when they discover that it used to belong to a living, breathing, feeling...
If you qualify for food and medical assistance, then by all means, take them, rather than get yourself further into debt than you'll already be due to the educational loans you already have!!! There's no need to be embarassed, for heaven's sake! You're going to school to better yourself and further your opportunities for you and your child, and are working part time. I don't know you, but if you're doing all that, you can't be a slouch. If anyone gives you the evil...
Wow, it sounds like you've been in a horrible situation. I don't have much advice. However, if you do go, and go to a battered women's shelter (which sounds like the appropriate place to go, given your husband's abuse and his threats to take and keep your daughter), you should absolutely take your daughter. Do not leave her behind. You will set yourself up for significant legal issues re custody if you fail to take her with you. She'll survive the shelter - the...
ITA with the others. I'd be pissed as hell, and would let them know exactly what was wrong and how they are to fix it, starting now.
We have home-cooked meals every night here. What HB'sM said about cooking on Sundays for the remainder of the week (or beyond, for the freezer) is excellent advice. We definitely do that here. Cassaroles of any kind, lasagna, soups, chili, curries, roasts (beef, pork and so forth; poultry doesn't keep as well) and the like are all good choices. For weekday meals, you can grill (in the summer, or whenever the weather permits) or sautee (stir-fry, pan-fried cutlets...
If at all possible, just try to get them to blow out all the snot regularly (or use the dreaded nose-bulb), so they don't end up with an infection. It's much better to get it all out and have a mess than to interfere with the body's natural immune reaction by suppressing the snot 'round the clock, or to let it stay in their noses as it thickens (as it will towards the tail-end of the illness) and risk getting an infection.
I figured your handle here was bogus.
What a horrible thing to happen - and what a horrible environment, too! Up to one's neck, drowning in a sea of balls, as a baby, for heaven's sake...all the while inhaling the odor of old beef fat and stale fries. Some people shouldn't be allowed to raise kids.
Oh, fer chrissakes, Allison - you mean you already KNEW that smoking was bad for you? Sheesh. I'll have to try to try my spiel on someone who's not quite as well-informed next time. :LOL Ok, now back to other sorts of fluff, but of the regularly-scheduled variety.
I totally don't belong on this thread, but just wanted to pop in to say to Allison: STOP SMOKING ALREADY!!!! (Yes, I am being a total killjoy). Just stop it! You'll never kick the habit until you totally and completely drop it (saying this as a former 1-2 pack a day smoker who still occasionally gets nostalgic when I catch a whiff of smoke). It's a fashion statement when one is younger, but face it - if you've said bye bye to your twenties, then it's getting to be...