or Connect

Posts by 5gifts

Well feed for the milking animals - the cow costs $80 a month to feed, saves me $200 a month in milk, yogurt, sour cream, cheese for my family of 8. Plus I trade milk for eggs3-6 dozen a week. Plus some people bring me bags of feed for the cow in exchange for milk. I get 3-4 gal every morning (with 2-3 inches of cream) & she nurses her calf all day. Fencing - lots of choices from freecycle/craigslist to expensive as you want to go. We make cheese with no special...
Hi   I know many are always on the look-out for 'bigger' chapter books that aren't inappropriate for kids 6-9. We are reading the 4th book in the secret series by pseudonymous bosch. Well, I say 'we' because I got the 1st for the 8 yo, started reading it with the 5yo, and now (we have 3 & 4 from the library) the 12 & 14 yo's keep snatching them the read.   I just saw this website when looking for a link to the books : )  and I'll have to go back to read the...
Yes, try a chiropractor. 2 of my 6 kids were refusing to latch or for one it was he just clamped down hard. Saw a chiro at 3 days old and had perfect nursers immediately. It was pretty unbelievable to see the difference.
Yes We eat rabbits!!! We all prefer it to chicken now...even though we have lots of chickens. We learned they are so much tastier & more tender if kept in ice water in the cooler (or you can just refrigerate) for 3-4 days after slaughtering. Then you can bag & freeze them. Before we only chilled 24 hours. We found we love it just boiled. We used to put it in the dutch oven with herbs & veggies, To make it really good, after boiling, cut it up into manageable pieces &...
  Ok, so this will be really hard to describe. But maybe it is a clue to something we're missing. So first I'll try to describe the smell. It smells a little foul/sickly....somewhat airy....maybe a little detergenty/cleaner like. Not very helpful, huh! I remember my 14 yo ds smelling like this when he was 5-8 mths old. We didn't know then he was gluten intolerent (though he can have spelt/oats).   So the story with this dd (5 mths old) is she is very reactive to...
I really hope you can get a variety of food in this week, and get your supply going. And without any bad fallout! Can you eat a bunch of oatmeal/steel cut oats tonight? Luckily that is one of my few safe foods - I eat it with lots of almond butter and drink almond milk. Hopefully after a few (heartbreaking) sessions of him nursing so hard to get nothing : (  then your supply will pick back up. This tea is supposed to REALLY...
Yeah, I guess if your young - I was once a 20 yo mother - they wonder if 'there's a father' Now, being old with 6-8 kids in tow at any given time...'Well gosh! Do they all have the same father?!?'
When he was done talking to me, he went & talked to her at her car for a long time...and they were still talking as I drove off...I waved bye to the officer. I'm just worried that she wanted something done so bad, that he'd assure her some one will check up on us just in case...blah!   I thought I'd play devil's advocate here : ) What if I posted the extreme of what she might have thought based on appearences. What would you think? Here goes: Some lady pulled up...
I realized this post was old as I started reading....but celiac in your dd was mentioned & I didn't catch if you eat gluten. But for anyone else reading, I believe in some people, cutting out gluten REALLY makes supply more  manageable.
My 12yo DD has a friend - a very silly drama filled friend LOL! Who calls me Aunt______. She's known me 6 years & I was Miss_______, but she changed up 2 summers ago. She calls me on the phone all the time to spill her guts to me...then ask to talk to DD : )   The change was actually kind of funny. I have a 10 yo niece that stays with me all summer, for the past 4 years. She is not a bio-niece, but is in the family, in another state & in a round about way. So DD,...