or Connect

Posts by Alathia

My family is also far flung. We live in N. America, and we have a lot of family either in southeast asia or western europe. we trade off visiting with family who has to travel overseas. we went two years ago to europe, my cousin from germany came over here last month, and we'll go to asia next year. everyone is understanding that we can't get everywhere, so both sides of the family try to make it to one major destination (when we went to europe, everyone in western...
About playing with older kids...my oldest son has always played with older kids, even from the early age of 12 months, he was playing with three year olds. He was a late talker, but he is physically ahead in his milestones so he walked and interacted like a three year old. He's never had any issues with being ignored by older kids. DS2 is only 21 months (and doesn't really talk) and runs full stream with his brother's six and seven year old friends with no issues...
My DSs are 5 and 21 months. my 5yo is allowed to ride with sticks, but he has to hold it perpendicular to him, and lay it across the handlebars and hold the stick with both hands. Same with his scooter. He's not allowed to hold the stick and "joust" with it while riding (and yes, him and his friend were doing this which caused the new stick rule). otherwise, our rules are no hitting other things with the stick (people, animals, inanimate objects), no throwing sticks,...
awww I feel your pain! As you know, I have two non-sleepers. Since DS1 is pretty go-go-go I'd just strap DS2 to me and take him out and about. The other thing that wears them down is constant, CONSTANT input. Going to the store, taking a walk, playing outside - something to stimulate their brains then they can go into "quiet mode" to think about it. Just so you can be prepared, DS1 dropped all naps at 22 months and DS2 is 21 months now and napping is 50/50 here, so...
My son will be 5 at the end of this month and has also done gymnastics for a long time. He's very good, and he's in the show team this year (3x a week for 90 minutes). He was two year younger than the youngest person on the team, mostly composed of 6-7yo, when he started last sept. Our gym also had a younger show team composed of 3-4yo which isn't as fierce. The problem to me doesn't seem to be the gymastics, it seems to be that your daughter is stressed out with...
my sons are bilingual, and never were verbally ahead (although we're definately sure DS1 is gifted - he's just not a big talker ) however this exchange the other day cracked me up. DS2 (20 months) was asking for water while we were at a restaruant, and asking me in vietnamese. apparently he was frustrated I wasn't responding fast enough because he spotted the server, waved his little arm and started shouting the same thing in english, then switching back to...
Remember for normal there's always a spectrum, and I think this would fall on the more advanced side. Both my kids pointed early, and DS2 pointed massively early. I remember at his 9 month WBV having DS1 read to him and him pointing out animals in the book and the ped being impressed. I also think children understand so much more than what they are given credit for. your little one sounds like she's definately happy reading though, I would keep it up!
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree Okay - but doesn't that mean that adult books without pictures aren't allowed either?? It kind of sounds like you have been restricting access to children's chapter books but not adult chapter books. It sounds like you've successfully found a bunch of appropriate children's books which is great. Happy reading!! I don't see what's so hard to understand, and I'm sorry to single you out ollyoxenfree...
Quote: Originally Posted by Girlprof One thing we did that was super helpful was set up an appointment w/the children's librarian. We told her our son was reading above grade level, how old he is, what sorts of things he was capable of reading, and what some of his interests are. She set him up with an absolutely massive pile of books that he finds fascinating and which are totally fine for a 6 year old. Apparently librarians are often familiar with this...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree I don't quite understand how the restriction on chapter books in the shared bedroom is part of the problem. If paperbacks and hardcovers aren't allowed, doesn't that apply equally to children's or adult books? the restriction is for my youngest son. if a book doesn't have pictures, he tends to rip out the pages, so only children's books, photography books, and encyclopedias with pictures are allowed in...