or Connect

Posts by Alathia

Quote: Originally Posted by leila1213 Gorgeous!--the child, the outfit, the photo--all of it! aww thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by AndrewsMother We love DS in his pink and purple Ralph Lauren Polos. To add additional colors we layer them with long sleeve t-shirts in contrasting colors. If you don't want to pay full price, Marshall's and Steinmart carry them for about $11. unfortunately my kids have really big heads. like, off the charts big. it's either stretchy necks (like basic ts), or total button downs. Polos or rugby shirts get caught...
The problem I see with rigidly gendered clothing is that girls can get away with wearing "boy" things and just be called tom boyish. But trying to find some nice purple or pink boy things is awfully, awfully hard. DS1 loves pink - loves, loves, LOVES it but we can only find pink boy shirts in the dress department, and not in just plain t shirts. I end up thrifting to find pink shirts and then doing some crafting on them to make them more "him" than just a boy wearing a...
Wow, this was a highly interesting read! I'm a photographer, so I'm always taking pictures. If someone was truely uncomfortable with their picture being taken, I work around that. I agree with those who think that it's not a right to take pictures of your kids. Even though they are your kids, they have feelings as well, and telling them to suck it up and be uncomfortable would be a power struggle I would not do. OP you seem to have come to a great decision...
Quote: Originally Posted by heatherdeg Legos. Is it a reality check that my 5yo can do the ones that are labeled to start at 8yo? I mean, mine is almost 6, but he's been able to do the 8-14yo sets for almost the whole year. But maybe that's normal? I'm just thrilled that he has something that requires sustained focus. Another reality check: when your at some kind of gathering and tell your dc to read a story to the other kids... who are all his...
Usually I let them walk, unless we have an appointment somewhere else, then I'll sling DS2. But my kids are really well behaved, so DS1 (4.5) often leads DS2 (16 months), and DS2 will happily follow his brother. I make them hold onto the cart, or hold hands with each other. They are pretty fast walkers though, faster than most adults pushing carts in a store!
Quote: Originally Posted by physmom She's pretty tall. We'll have her 1 year check up next month but she's normally in the 95th percentile for height. I *think* she was 29.5 inches at her last checkup so she's probably over 30 inches now. But I have no clue if that's tall enough or not? Can you put her on one to see how she fits? DS1 had a really short rise, so his feet couldn't touch the ground when we put him on the balance bike for the...
DS1 is 4.5 (April 05) DS2 is almost 16 months (Aug 08) Both are physically gifted - both very early with physical milestones (DS2 took his first unassisted steps at 6.5 months!), very coordinated. DS1 does gymnastics at a level with 7-8year olds and is just very very coordinated and has a lot of strength. He was a very late talker (did not really talk until he was 3, but we are a bilingual household), very visual spatial, and loves math. DS2 is still pretty...
thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I love all the help in this forum! I'm so excited to introduce some of these workbooks to DS1 and see his face light up!
DS1 is 4.5 and just finished up the two first grade workbooks I got him this summer. One was on letters, one on numbers. He was really sad when he got to the last pages yesterday and today and asked me for more. He's able to read and very, very VS. The numbers one touched on addition/subtraction but not fractions (he's starting to talk about halves, quarters, eigths, etc.) so I'd like something with maybe a little higher math for him. His writing is still probably...