or Connect

Posts by Alathia

DS1 is Samuel Thanh (samuel being pretty common, although not where we live). DS2 is Albert Tien. My H was totally stoked that he had two boys to name after his favorite Quantum Leap characters. I pushed much more traditional first names having a less traditional first name myself growing up. Other choices from my H when we were name choosing were: Orpheus, Angus, Theodore, Edward, Timothy, and Orion. I love the name Atticus myself. We obviously really like...
i'm sorry mama! DS2 has had three back to back double (middle) ear infections. We're being referred to an ENT as the chiropractor hasn't helped. His ped said his eustachian tubes were really tiny, and get blocked easily (we've also had his eardrum burst from so much infection). I don't eat dairy at all and haven't for four years (DS1 has a dairy allergy so I'm pretty careful). It sucks and you just feel like what are you doing wrong! I've so been there. DS1 has...
I don't know of any specific studies or books, but my DS1 is also very VS. Like you described, he sees things as a whole package, and he's forever looking at things upside down, backwards/forwards and it's all the same to him. I was just commenting in another thread how he's been playing with language and talking forwards and backwards (I am sam. Mas ma I). He taught himself to read at 3.5 and while sometimes he does it holding the book upside down, I figure that's...
I'm up! I don't have any kid clothes, but I have a lot of mama clothes. Sadly, my cute clothes from when I was a 36B do not look as cute now that I'm a nursing 36F. I'd be happy to host a weekend swap sometime in August, maybe towards the end before school starts?
DS1 is a great mimic, he'd do anything he'd see us doing. Like someone else said, we didn't teach as much as model and he's repeat after us. We don't teach DS2 anything because he's always chasing around after big brother and will do anything big brother is doing.
DS2 is 9 months old and we still swaddle his hands of doom before he goes down for naps and bedtime. He breaks out, but it comforts him and lets him relax, otherwise he's just all over his crib. It's like his signal to calm down. Both my boys are very physical (DS1 walked at 9 months, DS2 took his first steps at 6.5 months <--NOT a typo!) so i think the swaddling/aka baby straight jacket helps them calm down to sleep. now, swaddling all the time? I don't understand...
s: hiya! Ok, my kids are a little older than yours but not by much. And you know how much DS1 hates sleep. When DS2 was younger I also did the side car baby thing and we all snuggled in bed with DS1. Both boys get the same bedtime routine - dinner, some running up/down the hall, bath, brush teeth, story, then tuck in. Now that DS2 is getting older, we put them down at the same time. When it's just me, I tuck in DS1, leave him some music playing, and tell...
Quote: Originally Posted by gagin37 when did you all introduce spices to your lo's diet? I'm thinking cinnamon, tummeric, cumin, nutmeg, maybe a hint of pepper... stuff like that, not salt and sugar. I love spicy flavorful foods, and that's generally how I cook, but I usually leave ds's portions out unseasoned. When is it ok to start adding a little more flavor to his palate? we started around 8 months, I think. DS2's favorite food is...
aufilia - i'd love to see a copy of that study! you have my email. I'm wondering if they started off the study with the hypothesis of medicating for nausea during pregnancy, and this is the small offshoot they found which they expanded the study upon. That makes more sense than coming up with a study about morning sickness and resultant IQ. (although there is the old tale that someone got funding to see if bread would fall buttered side down...) anecdotally, I...
DS1 (just turned 4!) is pretty physically gifted, and I rarely read about that here so I'll share. He's learned to do a forward handspring all by himself! The first time thankfully it was at gym class (they were doing handstands and he flipped himself right over). The next few times I caught him doing it on purpose in our family room. So we talked about being safe and always having mom around to spot him. He's also learned to hula hoop, which is just really cute. I'm...