or Connect

Posts by Alathia

i'd be up for a swap too! can the weather make up its mind! I'm tired of this cold and wind. where is the warm May days we usually get?!
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 I think it may well be harder for gifted kids to fall asleep, and stay asleep, but I absolutely disagree that they need less sleep. I have seen that out there too, and I just don't buy it. Frankly, I think this is something parents of gifted kids tell themselves to make themselves feel better about the sleep their kids should be getting but aren't. I know DD gets less sleep than she needs because on days she gets more...
my youngest is named Albert. not unusual to say the least, but I got a TON of "well that's an old name on a young baby" when he was born and we announced the name. I don't really care, it's not a unqeek name and we love it.
my son has a late april birthday (he just turned 4 last week), and sounds similar to your son (can read, write short little two sentence stories, do addition, subtraction, multiplication, division). in fact it was his preschool teachers who brought up going to kindy early for us. one of the things they mentioned was going to morning kindy, then going to the preK program at the preschool in the afternoon so he was still getting the active play learning he desires. we had...
I'm sorry things are so bad between you and your ILs. I'm Viet, and agree with others that it's not a culture thing, it's a hateful people thing. My ILs are pretty vile, and we are in the exact same situation you are, down to my husband cutting off contact with them because of the hateful things they say and refuse to acknowledge me or our son's viet heritage at all. I'm sorry. it sucks, I've been there from the other side. Realize it's nothing that YOU have done,...
for your situation, I would skip the 9month visit with the old ped, and go ahead and just schedule a 12 month visit with the new doctor. I'm a little surprised by the responses of people who say WBV are just for vaxing and are of no concern for anyone. I love our WBVs. Our ped always spends 15 minutes with me and each child. It's not just about vax'ing for us (we delay, we only do one vax at at ime), but it's also a check in on my health, any concerns I have,...
YAY for little boys! AEZ mama, who are you on FB? I am there daily, plus it's just easy to update everyone all at once! Btw, can you believe our kiddos are FOUR now? I look at Samuel and think how much of a little adult he is looking like now!
What kind of preschool is he going to be going into for the fall? My son just turned 4 last week, so he was almost 3.5 when preschool started for us last Sept. He's moderately gifted, and he had taught himself to read last fall (I caught him reading to his baby brother - so sweet!). Anyway, he LOVES preschool, because it is play base and very very physical. He doesn't do anything overtly academic (besides reading to the other kids), but he has a lot of fun. There's a...
Quote: Originally Posted by EXOLAX This is our now (TODAY!) 8 year old ODD. She is socially advanced, has lots of friends, easily switches between leading and following but is an introvert. She was a late talker. She is an internal processor, and much of the time we don't hear about something that happened to her for months or even years+ after it happened. She seems to remember everything as well. We'll hear about something long after she's 'dealt'...
I'm mostly a lurker here, but a lot of the descriptions of kids here (besides Vanessa's kids whom seem the most like mine) are early talkative extroverts. My son (DS1, will be 4 in two months) is pretty much the opposite. He's very VS, learns quickly by watching something, loves to take things apart and put them back together. BUT he wasn't an early talker (we're a bilingual family, so he didn't really start talking until age 3, and then it was chattering up a storm in...